Dell 24" or Gateway 24" Display help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluetorch18, Dec 14, 2006.

1. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

I'm planning on getting a 24" display for Christmas for myself, but I'm stuck between the Gateway 24" and Dell 24". I'm planning on buying either a Xbox 360 or PS3 sometime in the near future as well. I would basically use the display for playing games w/ the PS3/360 and also use it as an external display for my MacBook Pro. I've heard positives and negatives for both, mainly in the gaming department. I've heard issues with the colors on the Gateway monitor, and I've heard about stretched screen issues with the Dell when using 1080p. Basically, if anyone that knows about this stuff could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't get the stretching on my Dell. I've been nothing but happy with the 2407. :)

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Since when do people buy Christmas gifts for themselves?;)

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

I second that. Can't say anything good or bad about HP as I don't own one.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

:confused: :confused: :confused:

6. bluetorch18 thread starter macrumors regular

Using it with an Xbox 360 at 1080p, I heard it stretches, not as a display for your mac...can anyone confirm/deny this?

And its more like a half christmas present, my siblings are paying for half of it.

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

Why :confused: ? What I said is true: I don't own an HP monitor. As a matter of fact, I don't own a Gateway monitor either :D

8. CHINAdeals macrumors newbie

Questions!

Hi

Looking to purchase a dell 2407 wfp WITH my macbook 2.0ghz duo core (1st gen)

Wondering if ANYONE else has this setup and if they can comment on it:

concerns
    - how does it run with a gaming system? (xbox 360)
    - how does it run with the macbook? does it support '2 screens' (macbook lcd/dell lcd) and is it 'choppy' or only runs well on low res / fan is ALWAYS on due to consumption of 'power'?

ANY HELP & comments would be greatly appreciated!

9. galensummer macrumors newbie

Graphics Card for Dell 2407?

Hey,

I am going to buy a Dell 2407 for my PowerMac G5 dual 1.8ghz with the stock graphics card: nVidia GeForce FX5200 Ultra I believe. Anyone know if I would want or need to upgrade this? I plan to play video back on this monitor from Final Cut Pro, as well as do After Effects work and maybe watch DVDs. Any thoughts? Advantages to an upgrade? This is going to be my only monitor at this time, although I may get a second. I would probably need to get another graphics card for that, right?

Thanks,

g

10. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I have the 24" with the CD2 MBP, and it runs great. The video cards are the same, so it should work fine for you as well. Yes, it supports 2 screens, at full resolution. I haven't tried the monitor with an XBox 360, but my original xbox ran fine on the monitor. Fan speed on my MBP doesn't seem to change.

11. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The FX5200 is a bit weak. I had it on my G4, and it would only push the 24" via VGA. I upgraded to an ATI 9800 Pro (128), and it ran like butter. If I were you, I'd try to get the 9800 for the G5 (it's a 256MB) card, which will cost you about $100 now days, and it should be fine. When I upgraded my G4 to a G5 I put in an ATI XT800, which rocks, and given your FCP needs, might be worth it.