Dell 2405FPW shipping ridiculousness

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mmoin, Jun 30, 2005.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

The shipping date on my 2405FPW, which said ships in 1-2 days when I ordered it last week, has been revised to July 8th. I don't understand why they're offering such a sweet deal on it now ($mid800's) if it's backordered so much. Anyone else order one around then? sort of ridiculous.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

to make money? sell more products?

3. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just saying that if they can't even fulfill current demand, there's no reason they should need to heavily discount the product, when they can still sell a lot of their inventory at the higher price. Just a little annoyed since I have my new PB but have been excitedly awaiting the 24" LCD for a while.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

they sell more that way...make money...don't lose customers to another brand. i really don't the marketing people at dell really care how long you wait as long as their price is making them money.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

That's OK, Dell was shipping my 2405 via UPS directly to my school instead of to my work and I caught it in the tracking system on it's way to Vermont.

I guess someone didn't know the difference between VA and VT. :confused:

Be prepaired to intercept at the local distribution hub!

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I think you people should keep this in mind next time Apple is delayed when shipping an item....it happens sometimes....demand out-weighs supply.....oh yeah!

7. mackaveli macrumors regular

shipping is always wrong at dell. The latest should be july 8th but its much faster then that. They built the product when its ordered, so maybe they are looking for a specific part?

when i got my dell 2405fpw it said it would be 14business days. i got mine in 4business days. I live in Canada btw.

so you should get it next week hopefully.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Congrats on the new purchase. If you haven't heard the news, Tiger now supports the portrait mode! Using my FP2001 on my new iMac 20" with the spanning hack.

I know you and I talked about the PM's; but I decided the the iMac gave me what I was looking for in the short term (2 years), till the newer Macintels hit the stores in 2006-07. Even more computers for the folding effort. :)

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Welcome to Dell hell. If you can spend some time on hold, I would complain. I ran in to the same thing when I got my FP2001, and got a $50 credit towards other purchases for my "troubles".

10. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

I ordered the same thing on 6/30... dell says i'll have mine by 7/12...

cant wait

11. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Great deal = increased demand. Increased demand = less product. Less product = possible back orders. Quite simple actually. Besides, when Dell's margins on this thing are probably around 60% (gross margins mind you not net margins) there is lots of room for them to wiggle and still make some good scratch.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You mean you have to wait another week for your 24" monitor?! Dang that sucks so hard. I mean, people are sleeping on the streets begging for $1 for food and Dell made you wait for your $1000 monitor? I swear I hope Dell goes under.

PS: that is meant in jest. Be patient and you'll have it.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

DON'T complain to Dell. They are lying, they will ship much sooner than that. I ordered a Dell monitor 3 weeks ago and they said it wouldn't ship til July 5. I've had it for 2 weeks. This is everybody else's experience as well. Dell does it so they can be a hero ("oh wow it came so fast, and even weeks before they said it would!"

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

"Under promise - Over deliver"

Nothing ticks customers off more than being told to expect something on Y date and getting it later on Z date.

Though in my case Dell promised an earlier delivery date, and delivered late. To their credit, when I complained I got a gift card for my "troubles".

15. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I've heard of Dell giving free digital cameras and things like this out to people who have their order delayed. So it might be worthwhile to call and gripe about it.

16. Poeben macrumors 6502

I ordered my 2405 on 6/17... estimated delivery 6/26. On 6/26 I got an email saying that it was delayed and would ship 6/30-7/04. Finally got the shipment notice on 6/29, but I never got a tracking number. Being that I was away on vacation and needed to arrange for someone to sign for it, I called them up and they told me it was delivered yesterday. So I rushed home and there it was, high and dry thankfully. Got it all set up. Looks very nice, too bad I won't see it again for another 2 weeks.

Good luck with yours, I don't think you will be disappointed. On a side note, good thing that their specs on size were close. There is literally a paper thick clearance on either side where it fits in my desk. I was expecting about 1/16" on either side but it works out nicely.

17. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I had to wait 2-3 weeks for my 2005FPW (about 1 week of that was thanks to Dell). Not wanting to be outdone, the delievery company sent the package to the other side out the county, so I had to wait an extra 4 days for them to send it to the correct address before I could pick it up.

18. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

bummer... it was to ship today... but I got this email instead..

Dear Valued Customer,
    We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order XXXXXXXXXX and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 07-14-2005

... thats ship after I was gonna get it... oh well, I'll call 'em up and see whats up.

19. wbrowne1 macrumors member

Yeah, my only experience with Dell was/is a bad one. I'm still waiting on a memory stick duo for my PSP that I ordered back at the end of April.

I've recieved 3 month-long delays, and have been told twice that "this is just a conservative estimate, it will actually ship much sooner."

I could order the 1-gigger from zipzoomfly.com or amazon.com, but I'm hoping to leverage this for some coupon in order to help me one of those 2405's myself. ;)

20. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

If they don't ship by the date they tell you, don't you get some money back or free delivery?

21. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

22. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

WOOT

Well after getting an email that said it would not ship till today..... it was in the mailroom by 10:30AM....

so either they really messed up.... or I'm getting a 2nd one in 3-5 biz days...lol