Dell 2407 Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SpAtZ, Jun 6, 2006.

1. SpAtZ macrumors regular

I just got a Dell 2407 for my MBP. I am wondering how I can make the 2407 my primary display instead of the MBP's screen. I want to do this with the lid closed. I do not want to mirror the displays. If I try to run the display with the lid closed it will sleep 10 seconds later. I also want to do this when on windows through bootcamp with out screwing up the drivers.

Also, could anyone tell me the easiest way to test for banding.

2. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

You can't have it the primary and the notebook secondary.

You can mirror them, have the external the secondary, or have the external be the Only...

Attach it, put the notebook to sleep, close it, and then wake it up with an external mouse or keyboard and the external display will be the only display.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

From the horse's mouth:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

EDIT: Transeau -- I don't understand why you say the external cannot be primary when spanning. If you put the menu bar and the dock on the external screen, isn't it pretty much the primary?

4. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx guys it's working great now. Could anybody help me do this on windows.

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I'm sorry, but I didn't see anything in that artical explaining how to move the menu and dock to an external monitor.

Maybe I'm missing something?

6. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

Thats definitely how you make the external monitor the "primary" one. I didn't see it in the article either. I find that a little confusing myself. There should be an easier option then that.

Could anyone help me how to see if there is banding problems and how to do this on windows.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, the article was for the OP. As for your question, mmm, I don't have an external monitor at home, but if I recall correctly, when you are in Displays arrangement, you see the pics of the two displays, right? One of them has a menu bar on it -- you select primary monitor by dragging the menu bar onto whichever screen you want it on. That screen will have the dock too, unless possibly if there is another screen positioned on the same edge of that screen that the dock should be on, in which case it goes all the way to the edge of the second screen (if that makes any sense).

But typically you just drag the menu bar in the miniature picture in Displays to the screen you want as primary. :)

8. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I stand (sit) corrected! I never knew that you could drag the little bar!
    SWEET! I love learning something new!

Thank you!

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So you gave advice based on something you're not certain of or didn't know? Shame on you!

How long have you been living with having the smallest display the primary? :)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MR would be a sad, dead place if we had to limit ourselves to giving advice about things we knew about.... :eek: :p :D

Did you get a chance to try it out, and are you getting what you want out of your displays? :)

11. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

You can't hold it against me - I'm a switcher! :p

Actually, I've never used both. I just leave the notebook's display off. I have a 30" Dell, so I don't really need the notebook's display. But now that I know this, I may just have it up for email and IM's while I'm editing.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I often do this when I dual display -- one screen for work and the other for play. :)

The other amazing dual display thing that may or may not impact you is using Powerpoint -- it has a "presenter tools" mode, in which the external screen shows the presentation as normal, but the internal screen shows the current slide in cameo, a thumbnail window with all the slides (so that you can see what's coming up and what has paassed), and the notes. This feature is great.

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

you are. you just drag it over in the system prefs.

14. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Thanks.... mkrishnan explained it 6 posts ago.

15. starnox macrumors 6502

What do you think about the 2407? Can you see banding issues or not? How about blurry text?

16. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

The model that I received has very little banding and no text blurring. However, it is Rev. A01 and I arranged for Dell to replace it with an A02 to just to be on the safe side. A02 has all of the fixes. Some guy from dell on their support forums said that all models shipping after the June 9th will be A02. The monitor has great contrast and overall looks pretty nice. The stand is great, easy to adjust. To me it is on par or better than the ACD's.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't know even the Dell monitors use the Axx revision system.... I guess it's nice to know whether you have a newer or older one. Although with the Axims, it was never clear that the later revisions were actually better than the originals and not worse! ;)

18. roflewaffle macrumors newbie

i was just wondering if anyone plays games using their macbook pro connected to a large external monitor. something like a 24" the op was speaking of. does it perform well in games such as hl2? i know people have said that it runs fine doing regular tasks, but i wanna know how it does when pushed with gaming. if there is already a post on the forums, i would appreciate a link there as the searches i do bring up only bits and pieces of what im looking for, thanks!

19. groggypee macrumors newbie

Connecting the Dell 2407 to an older G4

Hi I'm new here. I've been reading the threads and haven't seen anyone ask about connecting the Dell 2407FPW to a Dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4. I'm running the standard video card, I think it's the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. Is this enough to get me up and running or will I need some kind of upgrade? If so, any suggestions as to what? I am on a limited budget. Thanks in advance.

20. tainice macrumors newbie

ATI 9000pro Mac edition supports dual display, no upgrade necessary.

21. groggypee macrumors newbie

Dell 2407 Settings

Thanks very much for the info. Off I go.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Could anyone help me figure out if an iBook 500 and/or a 1Ghz eMac could run a Dell 2007?

The eMac has a Radeon 7500 and the iBook a Rage Mobility...

24. scarduner@tacon macrumors newbie

can i use 2407 with powerbook?

I have a 17" powerbook with GEForce4 MX graphics. It's current highest display with no external monitor attached is 1440x900. If I get a wide screen Dell 2407 will it display 1920x1200? 1920x1200 is the same aspect ratio as my 17' 1440x900..

THanks for any clarification

25. imnotatfault macrumors regular

Yes, it will display 1920x1200. I have a 15" PBook with a max res. of 12...x... (blah) and my Dell outputs it at full 1920 glory.

Enjoy!