Dell 2407WFP on sale in Japan.... that's a lot of Yen()

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DISCOMUNICATION, Mar 20, 2006.

1. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

The 2407WFP is on sale on Dell's Japanese site. No mention of HDMI, but it does list DVI-D(HDCP) and 6ms (grey to grey)、16ms(Black to white). Price: 157,500 円 (yen).

Wow people seem to care a lot more about 2007WFP than the 2407WFP which everyone seemed to be asking about and waiting for the past few months. None of our member in Japan in the market for a new monitor? How long was it after the 2405FPW's release before you could start getting it rediculously cheap? Are people going to have to continue playing the waiting game for prices to come down?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are LCDs in general a lot more expensive in Nihon than they are here? :eek:

That seems like an awful lot more than the American price of a 2405FPW.....

3. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Yen

Well it's like $1400 US dollars isn't it? I used to know the conversion rate. Stuff is always a little more expensive in Japan anyway.

4. point665 macrumors regular

Yeah, same here in Europe... The price of a 24" Dell (I just looked yesterday) is about $1600 when converted to dollars. I just moved from "the states" after living there for the past 13 years, I can have a friend pick up the same monitor for $799, then have it shipped with some of my other stuff (so shipping basically costs nothing). Im not going to pay double for the same thing.

5. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Price

Yeah, does anyone know how much the 2405FPW cost when it was originally released? I'm not talking about discounts, coupons, or deals. Just the original manufacturer's suggested retail price(MSRP). It's $999 right now, but was it over a grand upon release? Some people could be in for a shock if they are expecting some kind of discount upon release.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

its $550.00 difference between Japanese yen price and US dollar price

($157,500yen/$1,350.00 converted to us dollar) vs. 799.99 US @ 2405FPW :eek: :eek:

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

But I would gladly pay $500 extra for a monitor that supports HDCP. If this content protection thing really gets serious, buying anything else would leave you wishing you had dropped that extra money.

8. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

HDCP=Cost

HDCP shouldn't cost that much extra. The only new big monitor's that won't have HDCP are bargain basement models. Or the manufacturer is just stupid. Witness the lack of HDCP compliance in the 2007WFP. It's not just for Windows Vista HD support. You could also plug in consumer video devices like HDTV set-top-boxes, next gen DVD players, and the PS3.
    I'm surprized some manufacturers are willing to eat into the sales of their own HDTV market. Well, not the 30+ inchers, but below 30" most monitors beat HDTVs hands down in resolution, response time, and other features.

9. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION