Dell 2407WFP or Apple 20" Cinema

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saxondale., Mar 2, 2007.

1. saxondale. macrumors 6502

Which one?

The Dell has been confirmed to be the Rev A04, 8 bit IV Panel. Roughly the same price, but how is the quality compared to the two?

Thanks

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No contest whatsoever. Overall, I slightly prefer my 2407WFP's to even my 23" ACD's as the ergonomics and flexibility gives it the edge. The comparison between a 20" ACD and a 2407WFP? Absolutely the Dell.

3. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

get the dell they are wicked displays :eek:
    but apple will have an update on there displays soon :)

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Prefer The Dell 2407WFP

I like the 2407WFP because it rotates, has both DVI and VGA inputs, has 3 video inputs including component, has a 4 port USB 2 hub, has a memory card reader and is on sale now for onnly $674. I have 4 Dell monitors and I love them all. :) Plus they all cost a lot less than what Apple sells. Plus Apple doesn't even sell a 20" 1600x1200 monitor which is a way better resolution than the 20" ACD.

For what computer with what video card inside? All the ATI Cards support rotation which for me is huge. I'm a rotation whore. :eek:

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

even with apple's update i doubt it will be close to dell's price+performance

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'd go with dell... it's bigger.

what are you planning to do with it?

last time i checked, this particular model has S-PVA panel, as oppose S-IPS panel used in ACDs... i think the difference is the PVA panels' color drift more frequent, so if you do any color sensitive work, you might need to calibrate more often. other than that, it's pretty good

7. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be running this on my MBP 15" C2D. Will i be able to use the full resolution?
    Some questions:
    Should i wait for the new Apple displays?
    The 2407 have been out for nearly a year, surely it will be updated...right?
    So if i did get it, do i need to leave the MBP open? or can i shut it without it going to sleep? and use the monitor as the main display?
    If i can use it closed, my bluetooth keyboard and mouse will still work right?

They are selling for £750 in the UK but i can get a brand new, 5 year warranty one for £450 from eBay, from a powerseller too. (2407)

Also, this will be used for Audio editing and photography, main programs will be aperture, pro tools and reason.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

For those not wanting to wait for their monitors to ship, you can get the Gateway 24" monitor at Best Buy for 679.99, only thing it lacks compared to the Dell is the media card reader slots, but it makes up for it in two component ports, and an all-black finish. You have to pay tax on the Dell anyway. :/ The picture quality on the Gateway is superb.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Does The Gateway 24" Monitor Rotate?

Does it rotate? His MBP ATI Video supports rotation. And the 2407WFP rotates on the stand it comes on. It's a rotating VESA Mount. Plus I love Dell's quality.

Does the Gateway have 3 video inputs including component for HDTV Tuners and DVD Players and VGA + DVI total 5 inputs?

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Get A ColorVision® Spyder2PRO Monitor Calibrator With Your Dell 2407WFP

Absolutely. You can drive a 30" Dual Link Display with that ATI card sax.
    Not really.
    No. It's only less than a year old model. Will probably remain current through this year.
    The latter will work fine. I always use both.
    Yes.
    Bargain baby. Just make sure it comes with the Dell warranty.
    This quote comes from a different thread - the new FCP6 Details thread Post #42:
    OK So that's your out. Get a Spyder2PRO for only $199 at Calibration-Direct with your Dell. That way you can design posters with the rotated 24" Dell 2407WFP. I think I forgot to mention the Dell also comes on an elevator stand so you can also adjust its height. It Tilts, Rotates, Swivels and Elevates. :eek:

11. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the only downside is that i will have to deal with the warranty through him. Since he gets the products at business prices and Dell wont allow to change the warranty on 2407/2007 models, but it is a 5 year dell warranty but i will have to go through him first. He has over 2500 positive feedback, uk based, powerseller, transaction through paypal, so im pretty confident about it.
    Thanks a lot multimedia. Much appreciated.

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It has six, including TWO sets of component inputs.

component + component + composite + svideo + vga + dvi

It does rotate.

Its a better quality monitor then the Dell.

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Gateway FPD2485W 24" Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display Looks Better

That sounds great. After looking at the specs I agree with you Taylor - by the way my name is also Taylor ;). The Gateway FPD2485W 24" Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display is 6ms refresh with 2 component inputs makes it superior to the Dell and it's at Circuit City for only $650. Is it a new product? 6ms refresh is a new faster speed than I've ever seen before - especially for a computer monitor.

14. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

The Samsung 206/226BW has a 2ms response time, but uses a TN panel.

15. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Samsung 206/226BW Is Only 20" 1680 x 1050 Screen

Excellent. But that model is only a 20" 1680 x 1050 screen. We're on 24" models now.

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its great. Nice name :)

Its pretty new. There is a HUGE thread on it at Hardforum.com with tons of opinions. The latest revision fixes most of the complaints and its defiantly a great monitor.

17. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Amazon RAVE Reviews for the Gateway FPD2485W

Check out the RAVE revioews at amazon.com. Point is made this is the only monitor that does 1080P from the VGA input.

18. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

My Dell 2407wfp did 1080p over VGA when I used it with my Xbox 360, but I prefer the Gateway.

19. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

6ms Refresh Rate Is A Huge Improvement

Prolly because it does 6ms refresh which makes action sequences much clearer.

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You can reassign any Dell product to a subsequent owner. In the UK you go through a process that notifies new and original owner of the change of ownership - It's slightly odd that the warranty should be through the seller. Maybe he has his reasons.

21. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

2407wfp has 6ms refresh time as well. It does not have Faroudja image processing, which I like.

22. ahriman macrumors member

ahriman

the rev04 is confirmed 8 bit? positive?

23. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what he has written about the warranty:
    The warranty is with Dell,but due to the fact there business monitors you must contact me,who will then organise a replacement with Dell on your behalve.This change is due to people using my contact and ref numbers with Dell claiming to be a member of my staff,so they could get cheap Dell items.I am sure that you will understand this,if not then please ask questions.Some monitors like the 2707 and the 3007 we can transfer the warranty with Dell to you,but not on 2407 and 2007.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The big Dell.

Yes the Apple looks nicer turned off, but the Dell crush's it on value and features.

Very, very happy with mine.