Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Anyone got one of these? I just saw them on the Dell website. Prefer the new look to the old one, and it's £100 cheaper.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
EDIT: i'm blind, and it's more expensive, the old one was like 700 quid it just had a constant 25% discount so they can say the new one is cheaper because without the discount it was like 900 quid.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? As far as I can see it has a new stand and four USB ports (instead of 2) ...other than that I'm not sure.

I took delivery of the last model last week. Paid £620 for it (that may seem expensive to the US readers but it's a pretty good price over here)

Error Type -43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
I've read that the first shipments to the Japanese market have resulted in banding issues. I'm sure Dell will have this fixed but for now, the older 2405 is the better choice.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Last time I checked the 2405 was £800, the 2407 is only £700. Unless Apple pull something spectacular out of the bag I will probably get two of these in a few months.

The 2407 is also HDCP compatible (I don't think the 2405 was).

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the 2407 is 824, your looking at the business store which does not add vat, which businesses pay separately.

the price has gone up for new looks two usb ports and HDCP which has no use for me seeing as given the choice of buying content with restrictions (drm) or pirating it with no restrictions i'll go for the latter, don't start a flame war people if you don't like it just feel superior about yourself.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Hector said:
the 2407 is 824, your looking at the business store which does not add vat, which businesses pay separately.

the price has gone up for new looks two usb ports and HDCP which has no use for me seeing as given the choice of buying content with restrictions (drm) or pirating it with no restrictions i'll go for the latter, don't start a flame war people if you don't like it just feel superior about yourself.

I live in the channel Islands were we pay no VAT, so it was £800 and £700 respectively.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
good for you but that still does not change the price diffrence, the 2405FPW was about 700 with VAT and around 600 without, my argument still stands, dells marketing ******** is ********, the newer one costs more than they sold the only one they just discounted the old one for like two years.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Hector said:
good for you but that still does not change the price diffrence, the 2405FPW was about 700 with VAT and around 600 without, my argument still stands, dells marketing ******** is ********, the newer one costs more than they sold the only one they just discounted the old one for like two years.

The old ones did not cost £600 without VAT. I know because I worked the £800 price into my budget when I was costing equipment and I got that straight off their website.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when? in 2003, you can get them as low as 500 if you look hard enough.

DrFrankTM

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Japan
I just ordered a DELL 2405FWP from dell.ca. (That's Canada, by the way.) The price is pretty good. With taxes and all, it comes up to CAN$1,074.50.

I could have waited for the 2407, but I didn't want to risk seeing it introduced at a brand new price several hundred dollars higher. The lack of HDCP might turn out to be a p.i.t.a. a few years down the road, but I honestly don't think I'll care for quite a while. HD is fun, but I'm getting the screen mostly because I want a bigger work surface. Things like expose and tabbed navigation are helpful, but it doesn't quite match having all the stuff in front of your eyes simultaneously. I want a screen I can trust and I need it now. At the moment, I can't say I trust the 2407. The latest version of the 2405 seems to be pretty much flawless (if you don't care for HDCP), but it had a bunch of issues in the first few revisions. I don't want to wait ten months for Dell to get the 2407 right. I think I'll be happy with the 2405.

Two quick notes on HDCP. It seems a few of the big names recently backed down a bit on the downsampling of HDCP-protected content view on non-HDCP devices, so if your DVI isn't HDCP-compatible, you might be able to get a pretty decent image through other connectors. Also, HDCP's security is inherently flawed, so I think it's safe to expect that there will be hacks around it at some point in time... and I don't think we'll have to wait all that long. Oh! Well... We'll see.

[EDIT: fixed a typo]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.