Dell 2707WFP Good LCD to invest?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tangerine, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

I was planning to upgrade to a 30 Inch but I find it a bit too big for me. I own a 23 ACD but its imperfections, good quality but notorious for stuck pixels and backlight bleed. I didn't like it too much because of several stuck pixels on my screen. I have really good eyes so I can always spot it. The red and the green stuck pixels on it is bugging me, so I decided to get an exchange, but just find myself having the same defect. Dell display have zero dead pixels policy I think because my friend use it and I check it out, I couldn't even spot a single dead or stuck pixels. I was going to get the 2407WFP but it doesn't match my mac pro and don't like the ideas it made out of plastic. I saw the 2707WFP and it look really nice. Dell website sell it for $1,500 but on eBay I can get it for $1,000 brand new. This cost as much as my 23 ACD. Should I return my 23 ACD and get this one instead?

[​IMG]

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would say no. The resolution is the same as the 24", but with 3" more screen space, so I'm guessing things won't be as sharp or nice-looking as the 2407WFP or the 23" ACD. I would try getting another replacement ACD if I were you, the 2707 feels like it would be a downgrade from what you have now.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Ditto. Stick with the 23" ACD.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'll agree. You can calculate out the pixels per inch for screens with a little geometry work. I prefer something in the range of 95-105, which was where my old 12" iBook topped out. The 14" iBook went below that, which is why I found it to look totally crummy.

If you're going with WUXGA, you'll probably want to stop at 24" unless you're not using it for a computer. Or jump to WQXGA.

5. visualanté macrumors member

i disagree with these guys...i am a mac guy but that dell display caught my eye...its not about pixels only....the color quality is superior with higher gamut...as a designer color is crucial....cinema displays are aging

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'm not saying "stick with the ACD because Dell sucks" - I often argue that Dell is a much better buy and that the ACDs are generally rip-offs. If he was looking to buy a new monitor entirely, I'd send him the Dell way - but to the 2407wfp. The 27" will look fuzzy because of the pixel pitch (.258mm for the ACD, .270mm for the 2407wfp, and .303mm for the 27"), and because he's been working with the 23" - he'll definitely notice the change.

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I'll add that a lot of the reviews on the 2707wfp site talk about graininess and fuzziness of images. The "pro" side on there argues that it's great for people with bad eyesight. So... while the colors issue might be a valid point, I still think you should steer clear of this if you're interested in a crisp, overall better image.