Dell- $299 desktop

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Mar 28, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

No need to worry apple that the Mini is to cheap at $499. From dell you can get the following computer.

Dell 2400
    Celeron 2.4Ghz
    256mb RAM
    40gb
    CD-ROM
    17" CRT
    Dell Printer
    $299

I had see $400 dell computers but this is amazing how cheaply dell can sell computers for.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, once Apple dropped the price of their low-end machine, Dell had to retaliate just to keep expanding their education share.

This still keeps Dells low-end "system" at half the price of a Mac, unless Apple has something up their sleeve for the eMac -- like $499 well equiped education model.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Celeron jokes aside, that really is a good deal. For the average user, that's all they need, sans CD-R perhaps.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

First off, I must say "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...a Celeron... :rolleyes:"....

The Mini would own on that Dell any day of the week. Hell, the Mini owns on any of Dell's budget models. My Dad was looking at getting a new desktop and customized a 750 Dell. Then I navigated him to the Apple site, where, with his edu discount, he could get a computer that just as fast, with more RAM, more HDD, and a much smaller footprint for 75 dollars less. He wound up getting a 630$ AMD 64 at Office Depot in the end. I guess that my reasoning didn't win out with him...

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

small print:

*no free shipping on items under $499

printer cable to connect "free" printer (not included) $25

1 yr warranty (only 90 day included) $19

DVD and CD-R will cost you $79, DVD alone $20, CD-R alone $40

It comes with no security software. $69

Looks like it will run you more than $500.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

How low can a computer be sold for, I predict that within ~5 years time you will see these computers GIVEN away for FREE. As in history calculators used to cost a bit for basic functions and now you can pick one up for free as an Office Give Away. Same will happen with computers, we are well on course. :)

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

What do you expect from Dell's BUDGET offerings?

They usual blind sight the ignorant consumer seems to give them an upper hand. :(

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Dell can do better than that. Throw a 733 MHz Transmeta Crusoe CPU (PDF) in that $299 PC, and the price will probably drop quite a bit just from that. Even more will be saved with the slower components that CPU requires.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Heck by the end of this year Dell will sell a $199 USD computer. For Surfing, Email, typing a few Word documents one does not need a 64MB GPU or PCI-e.

Free x86 computers in the future, mark my words. :)

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I would expect ISPs to be giving away computers for signed contracts. I'm surprised it already hasn't happened.

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Won't happen till ones ISP gives away a Free Modem. Maybe a Free Modem and Dell. Some local stores have that sort of offer here in Canada. :)

12. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

And from what I've heard, all those free dell printers require dell ink cartridges that cannot be bought at any office supply/electronic megalopolis. So that is more shipping plus the hassle of the wait.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That makes sense. That is the fun of the inkjet market.

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Don't even open it until you have to actually use the thing. And when storing it place the ink cartridge in a air tight container. That is what any Mac user would do. ;) :)

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just in the last month, I've been given a free very-low-end digital camera and a free very-low-end PDA from companies I do business with. The low end products have gotten cheap enough for this to happen. So I'll try not to be surprised when I'm given a free computer sometime in the future.

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Scary where Technology in the West is heading. :)

17. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I saw a recent Ford commercial that advertised giving away free Dulls if you buy a Ford (Ford Freestyle maybe?).

Then there's this thread.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

My ISP gave us a free modem... and free installation...

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I got a free modem too, and a free "self-installation kit", which isn't as bad as it sounds. The self-installation process is surprisingly simple.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is that price after rebates or something? My grandpa bought an HP desktop last year and it wasnt a bad price after the several hundred dollars in rebates. He had so many rebate forms for each component and receipts and other proofs of purchase you almost needed a good lawyer to figure the damn thing. If this Dull is after a few hundred in rebates, its easier for a lot of people to spend 500 on the Mac mini then spend, say 700 on the Dull and wait around for eternity for a rebate.

If there's no rebate involved, then it still has the problem that nothing is included with it

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. Maybe you see no use for this, but for someone like my mum, I feel that she'd be more than okay with this system. She doesn't need anything techy. The only person she has in her Address book is me. :eek:
    She just needs a machine for email and to upload pictures from her digital camera to her computer.

So? I don't think you get the true purpose of the budget machine. Some of the things listed wouldn't come with a Mini either if it was priced at $299. You're listing those things above as if these are faults. A free printer is not a "fault" of a $299 computer. They give you a printer. No printer comes with a cable. In fact, the printer and 17" monitor are things that aren't even included in the Mini, which is TWICE as expensive. Look at what the better deal is now if Apple were to provide things to a basic user, like the monitor and printer.

So the Mini would dust a Dell that's a fraction of the price? SHOCKER!!! :eek:

22. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I know what I can do with a Mac mini but what can I do with a Dull at this price? Is it any good? Ignoring the fact that its a PC.

23. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

For basic tasks its fine. Internet, word processing, etc. Its nothing special but its not that bad of a computer especally for $299 with a monitor and a printer (They are horrible, my sister got one for free with her dell and its the cheapest printer I've ever seen/used. And yes you can only order the ink online. She ended up buying an HP).

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll add to that. I can get generic ink cartridges for my Epson printer for about $6 apiece online. I recently tried finding the equivalent for my daughter's Dell printer. Best price I could find: $20 apiece. So the continuous cost-of-use is higher.

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

"So? I don't think you get the true purpose of the budget machine. Some of the things listed wouldn't come with a Mini either if it was priced at $299. You're listing those things above as if these are faults. A free printer is not a "fault" of a $299 computer. They give you a printer. No printer comes with a cable. In fact, the printer and 17" monitor are things that aren't even included in the Mini, which is TWICE as expensive. Look at what the better deal is now if Apple were to provide things to a basic user, like the monitor and printer."

I'm pretty sure the last printer I bought came with a cable, but perhaps I'm wrong. The shipping not being included certainly is a real factor. I'm pretty sure even the budget conscious want the computer to leave the factory and arrive at their house. As Thomas Veil ellucidates (the point I was alluding to) the free printer is actually a liability: it's a poor quality printer that ropes those who don't know better into buying very expensive ink cartriges.

On the math side, $299 plus shipping (which I maintain is something you want) is more than half of $499.

We could also mention the lack of a graphics card...

But the basic point is, I don't think this would end up being a very good computer for those who would buy it, nor would it save them lots of money.