Dell 3007FWP 30" - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by desenso, Jul 14, 2006.

1. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Does anyone have one of these? Searched the forums but, surprisingly, didn't turn up much... I was wondering if anyone had any experience using these with a Mac, since most of the controls are software-based and built for Windows.

Anyone?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i've never used the 30", but at work we're completely mac-exclusive, but with all dell widescreen monitors and they work wonderfully.

also, though i haven't read much about many users having the 30", i know quite a few MR readers use and love their dell monitors to compliment their macs..

3. Kace macrumors regular

ive always loved Apple displays, but cant beat a dell in terms of pricing.
    hoping a new line of displays is launched at WWDC to compliment the MacPro

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yeah, the apple displays are great, but way overpriced IMO. the dells are just as nice for *much* less.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

In the case of the 30", the prices aren't THAT much different, though; the 3007WFP runs $2200 from Dell, and the 30" ACD is $2500 from Apple. They appear to use the exact same panel, so it really comes down to style and features. The Dell has 4 USB2 ports instead of 2, and it has a flash media reader, but it doesn't have a built-in FW400 hub (I've found that handy for connecting a DV camera).

Styling is totally a matter of personal preference (I really love the thin, brick-on-floor ACD design, but others don't), but the ACD has no lights on the front and a grey bezel instead of black--one or the other might be preferred depending on the environment. The single cable from the ACD is sure nice, though.

Worth noting that I've read about people having problems getting their Mac to sleep with a Dell monitor plugged into it because of the integrated media reader--it apparently keeps waking the Mac up via the USB connection. Disconnecting that of course makes it ok, but it's a possible annoyance.

The Dell comes with a 3 year warranty, which you're going to have to pay $99 for from Apple unless you buy it along with a Mac that you're getting AppleCare for. For some extra cash, you can get a Dell warranty that covers up to 5 years, and/or even covers accidental damage.

Last question (and it really is just a question): The "Customize" page for the Dell lists a couple of $100 Belkin DVI cables--I assume it already includes a cable, but I can't find where it says that.

[Edit: Last note: I just noticed you can get a refurb 30" ACD for $2099, so even with the extra $99 for 3 years of AppleCare, it comes out to the same price as the Dell that way. If I had $2000 laying around to spend on a monitor, I'd be seriously considering that option, just because I'm so fond of the ACD styling.]

6. synergyo1 macrumors newbie

Dell occasionally have coupon deals where one could pick up the monitor for as low as $1100-$1500. It isn't really the retail price that gets people to buy their monitor, but their coupon deals.

7. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Do you know where one could find a coupon deal like this?

8. synergyo1 macrumors newbie

Coupon availability is sporatic and the amount of % off varies. It takes some hunting and patience to get a good deal. FatWallet is a good place to scour. Sometimes calling a Dell rep and bargaining with them works.

I wouldn't hold my breath since it has just been recently announced/rumored that Dell is no longer going to offer big promotional/coupons.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Even with all the BS about Dell monitor quality, they're really top notch. Good picture, good build quality, amazing array of inputs, great warranty.

I have a 2005fpw (I know it's not a 3007...but still) and love it. 0 complaints. :)

10. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

The Dell has great specs, I just wish they came with Firewire ports as the Apple
    displays do. Although, now that I think about it you could save a few hundred dollars even if you bought a sperate hub instead.

11. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

I agree with all that praise Dell - I have a 2005FPW and it is fantastic.

The 30" is a bit of a dream monitor for me... I can't find anything that says it won't work with my PowerMac, so I might just buy one some day soon...

12. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

grr! This is getting a bit frustrating actually. I can't seem to find any confirmed compatibility with EITHER the ATI Radeon 9650 256mb (which I have in my PM2.7) or with the MacBook Pro's graphics card...

I'm more concerned about the PowerMac's card, because I'm almost positive I remember seeing a forum thread somewhere about a person using the 3007 with their MacBook Pro...

Can anyone out there confirm for sure?

13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You can use it with your PowerMac (link)

Sorry if that's hard to read, but it is showing that both the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros can run a 30" monitor using either videocard. (link)

14. HardLine macrumors member

if you've seen a 30 inch cinema display at the apple store, then you've seen the dell 30 inch as well

same bloody panel, different body

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yes, but two totally different backlights.

What I have seen from Dell how they handle backlighting, I am not impressed. Even my 2005 fpw has uneven backlighting, which is annoying if you keep focusing on it (which I don't, so I am fine). One of my friends just bought a 37" TV from Dell, and it has HORRIBLE backlighting. Upper left and lower right corner is unwatchable if the color is grey or black. It's really sad to see that bad quality. That said, the backlighting would be the only thing I would fear if buying a 30" Dell...

16. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Baby Duck: Many thanks! You've put my mind at ease... now to actually part with the money, i.e. the hard part. :p

17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, Dell customer support is horrible, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure if you bought a 30" and found that the backlighting was completely unacceptable, you could get it replaced.

That said, we just bought up a TON of new 24" monitors from Dell for work, and they ALL make me drool. ;) :D