Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijonath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
HI,

I have a nMP with twin D700 and a Dell monitor UP2414Q and I have severals issues with the wake up. Sometimes when i wake up my computer the screen stay black and i have no other solution than wait several minutes or reboot the computer to resolve the problem.
So I am searching for a new screen and i am asking if the 5K Dell monitor have the same issue or work well ?

Thanks

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
The Dell UP2414Q 4K display had notorious wake-from-sleep problems with the Mac in particular, although even PC users experienced it.

ijonath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
The Dell UP2414Q 4K display had notorious wake-from-sleep problems with the Mac in particular, although even PC users experienced it.

It's a probleme when you need to work. But what I am asking is if the problem appear only with the UP2414Q or if it appear with every 4K monitor and also with the 5K dell monitor ?

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
It's a probleme when you need to work. But what I am asking is if the problem appear only with the UP2414Q or if it appear with every 4K monitor and also with the 5K dell monitor ?

When this happens, can you turn the monitor off and on using the power button, or is it completely unresponsive? I've seen it both ways. If the former then just toggling the power button usually wakes it up. But when it's completely unresponsive, the only fix I've figured out is to pull the power cable from the outlet, then plug it back in.

This is with my Dell P2715Q and Mac Pro 5,1. I've seen it using a GTX 760, GTX 970, and flashed Radeon HD 7950. (Nvidia cards were unflashed.)

ijonath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
When this happens, can you turn the monitor off and on using the power button, or is it completely unresponsive? I've seen it both ways. If the former then just toggling the power button usually wakes it up. But when it's completely unresponsive, the only fix I've figured out is to pull the power cable from the outlet, then plug it back in.

This is with my Dell P2715Q and Mac Pro 5,1. I've seen it using a GTX 760, GTX 970, and flashed Radeon HD 7950. (Nvidia cards were unflashed.)

For me the screen is completly unresponsive...

Mikael S

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
I dont have that issue on my setup.
(D700 + Dell 5k). I do have an issue with lack of boot screen which I did not have a while ago. So thats something to figure out why that is..

All in all im very happy with my setup despite lack of boot screen and other minor quirks..

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008

The UP2414Q had consistent wake-from-sleep problems that were irregardless of OS or hardware. Early revs of Dell's P2415Q and P2715Q 4K monitors had a different wake-from-sleep problem that was intermittent and required the monitors to be unplugged (or connected to a power strip and toggled, which is what most owners end up doing). Some versions of OSX are more problematic with 4K monitors - no version prior to El Capitan works reliably with 4K (Yosemite has screen tearing and wake-from-sleep issues) and El Capitan 10.11.2 has a new wake-from-sleep problem that was fixed in 10.11.3. I don't have a Dell UP2715K 5K monitor but since it was introduced around the same time as the P2415Q/P2715Q, it wouldn't surprise me if it has the same lockup problem on it's some of its revs.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I dont have that issue on my setup.
(D700 + Dell 5k). I do have an issue with lack of boot screen which I did not have a while ago. So thats something to figure out why that is..

All in all im very happy with my setup despite lack of boot screen and other minor quirks..
NMP can't display boot screen on that display, also nmp can't show bootscreen on 4k display, end of story.

Mikael S

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Boot screen (if you mean displaying the apple logo and progress bar during booting) most certainly has worked for me with my nMP and UP2715k display .

Also, I often use the startup manager to boot into windows which has worked perfectly until some time ago.

Like I said - I am struggling to understand why it does not work anymore since a few months back.

When it did work it displayed the startup manager and boot "Apple" logo in 2560p resolution.

Last edited:

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Boot screen (if you mean displaying the apple logo and progress bar during booting) most certainly has worked for me with my nMP and UP2715k display .

Also, I often use the startup manager to boot into windows which has worked perfectly until some time ago.

Like I said - I am struggling to understand why it does not work anymore since a few months back.

When it did work it displayed the startup manager and boot "Apple" logo in 2560p resolution.

I'm not sure about 5K, but when you see a bootscreen with a 4K monitor on a nMP, it means you're running in either MST mode or 30Hz mode. In fact, the workaround for Dell's newer 4K monitors (P2415Q/P2715Q) to get the bootscreen is to force this by hitting the display's menu button and going to Menu -> Display -> MST -> Secondary, which puts the display into 30Hz MST mode and lets you get the bootscreen back so you can option-boot. I think the 5K display is always in MST mode so maybe that's not necessary for it.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I'm not sure about 5K, but when you see a bootscreen with a 4K monitor on a nMP, it means you're running in either MST mode or 30Hz mode. In fact, the workaround for Dell's newer 4K monitors (P2415Q/P2715Q) to get the bootscreen is to force this by hitting the display's menu button and going to Menu -> Display -> MST -> Secondary, which puts the display into 30Hz MST mode and lets you get the bootscreen back so you can option-boot. I think the 5K display is always in MST mode so maybe that's not necessary for it.

I have to disagree with your first point. I have a 4K LG 31MU97 connected to my nMP running the latest version of OS X El Stupid Name. When I boot, I see the Apple logo and progress bar briefly before I get to the login screen. Alternatively, I'm able to select boot options on startup (e.g. Startup Manager).

My screen is SST and is running at 60Hz.

I suppose what I'm saying is that with correct drivers (which I guess Apple have for the LG) 4K (and one would imagine 5K) displays can behave like their more traditional ancestors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.