Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I have a friend who i just convinced to buy a new macbook. He likes it but he has this dell 962 printer and I could not find any mac drivers for it. If any of you know of a work around please let me know!

thanks

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
You shouldn't need any drivers for it. Normally with OS X you just plug in the printer in and it works, they only exception that I have come across are some HP models. Even if the printer doesn't have bundled drivers with OS X (don't think Dell is) Mac OS had a generic driver that should work.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
when you go to the print center to add it as a printer you still need to locate drivers for it. I'll have him try to just print without adding it to the print center... who knows.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
There might be no luck....

I know that Lexmark makes the Dell printers (but you have to buy the ink from Dell, how crappy) and there aren't any current Lexmark printers that have Mac drivers for them. It might be a fruitless endeavor.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
It will probably work with a generic driver but if it doesn't...This printer is similar to the Lexmark X7170 which has an OS X driver available on Lexmarks site. I have no idea if it will work but its worth a try...I would try all of the OS X drivers that Lexmark has for AIO printers...I looked and didn't see any Gimp or Foomatic drivers for these printers yet...Also, I would complain to Dell...they should support multiple platforms even if Mikey is jealous of Steve...I would probably never buy a Dell printer anyway but this just clinches the deal...

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:463:0:0&searchLang=en&os_group=Mac%20OS%20X&target=

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.