Dell "Accounting probe"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by The Grood, Sep 11, 2006.

1. The Grood macrumors regular

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I guess I misread the title, I though dell was announcing a new product called "Probe..." guess not. :mad: Maybe we'll have to just settle for Michael Dell getting "probed instead."

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

They can't find the $448.23 they were supposed to spend on R&D last year. :p

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Funny that they're under suspicion at the same time as Apple on batteries and accounting.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is a lot like the Apple thing. They found some irregularities, reported them, no biggie. Worse case scenario, they probably just have to pay a fine. Dell still sucks though.

6. Demoman macrumors regular

It is nothing like the Apple thing. Apple is accused of predating some stock options. Dell is being accused of defrauding its' customers by claiming to be selling one thing and then delivering something else. If you do not see the difference, you will make a fine republican candidate for some office...even attorney general.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, really? That wasn't what I had read. If that's the case, I admit I was wrong and retract my earlier statement.

Let's see a neocon do that! :p

8. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

defrauding? where exactly are you getting this information? all the sources i've seen thus far indicate an accounting issue, not a product issue.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There is a link on the article page to another article about Dell being sued in China over false advertising.

This is somewhat like the Apple situation, but it says that the SEC had "some questions", which prompted this probe, which doesn't involve stock options, while I think Apple's was noticed within the company (I think), and involves only stock options (I think.)

10. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

the china issue and the sec probes are mutually exclusive events. with regard to the issues in china, the fact that dell used a chip that doesn't include vanderpool isn't really a big deal since currently, vanderpool performs worse than a pure software solution to virtualization. and the chip dell used isn't that much cheaper. now if they had advertised core duo and put in core solo, that would be a big problem.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh, I know that the China issue has nothing to do with the probe, I was just explaining how it got brought up.

12. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Must people always bring politics into their analogies??? What's to say that democrats are any different than republicans when it comes to defrauding. I mean hey it is politics, being fraudulent is their specialty.....:D

Nuc