Dell advertisement when going to Apple!

Discussion in 'Community' started by pgwalsh, Jul 2, 2002.

1. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I have an WXP machine I built myself for testing and other various apps. Every two or three times I visit the Apple web site I get a popup window with a Dell advertisement that says "Stop go to Dell if you want to buy a new computer." Those aren't the exact words, but I can't believe it. I imagine it has to be something in the browser or OS?

It's a bunch of BS if you ask me. I didn't buy the damn computer to have Dell advertisements popup randomly. Anyone else ever experience this?
    :mad:

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I never get that when I go to the Apple site, or any part of it. I think it has something to do with either your ISP, or the browser. Are you using a peecee to visit the Apple site?? Which browser (and version)?? Who is your ISP???

I just went to the Apple site, no pop-ups at all.

3. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I'm using IE 6.0.2 and my ISP is ATTbi. As I said, it doesn't happen all the time. It happens randomly.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Since you are doing it from a peecee, I would say it is your browser. You probably got a cookie in there doing it to you... Don't you just hate bad cookies. :D

Does it happen more when you go to Apple's site from a group of sites?? It could be from the site you were on before you went to Apple's... Try it when you first launch IE, before any other site is loaded. If you have a site come up on launch of IE, disable that.

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Are you a registered member of Dell.net?

you may have some cookies.

I remember at compaq we had a deal with microsoft that www.compaq.net went to msn.com with compaq specific information. Dell did the same thing with www.dell.net. I think this has been phased out over the last few years though.

Thats the only thing I can think of.

C-

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hey D0... what do you think of the heat we have up here in MA??? :eek: :eek: :eek: It's hotter then hell out there (from what I hear, since I am in an air conditioned office all day :D). Got my AC at home, set to kick on about an hour before I get there... so that the place starts to cool down for me. Still, 90°+ is hot no matter how you look at it.

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I have central air.. keeps the "chateau de' teeth" at an oh so nice 60 degreees all day long.

But getting in the car after work is evil... i could cook bacon on my dashboard.

It either rains or frys out there.. whataya gonna do bro :)

almost to hot to ride the hog, right?

almost. :)

C-

8. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I'm not a member of Dell.net or any other net service. As many of you have said, it's probably a cookie. If they think they clever in doing that, they just assured themselves that I'll never buy a Dell. Not that I'm in the market for a Dell. I'd rather build my own box, which is what I did, I'm just surprised to see this happen. I don't even recall going to Dell's site on that computer.

9. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

It's petty damn hot here in the Bay Area too. However, we're only reaching the low 80's. Off to Tahoe for the 4th.

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I spent 8 years in MA - the first 4 on the North Shore and the last 4 in Beantown. Between the frigid winters and smoldering summers, I was going MAD! I feel your pain. Now, in the Bay Area, the temperature rarely moves past 85F and below 50F.

AC? We don't need no stinkin' AC!

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If it wasn't for the rain predictions, I would have rode da Hog into work today. But I didn't... It should be better for tomorrow (not as hot) so I will probably ride then. After Thursday, back down to below 85° (78° for Saturday :D) until about Monday (oven again for Monday, then back to better temps).

I only have the one window AC unit, but with the apartment being about 430-450 square feet, the 8000 btu handles it pretty easily.

I just hope we have a very short heat season/summer. Capping at about 83-85 would be just fine for me. Let it drop into the 50's at night... :D

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

80s? You guys all got it easy. It's 98 here today.

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

According to the weather channel's web site, it's 93° right now (with a 'feel like' temp of 104°).

I WISH it was in the 80's today...

14. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I say just delete all the cookies... Maybe it was just from a random site. My friends built my pc for me and when I log onto the apple site nothing happens. There's other sites though that have 1 to 10 windows openning. I wish someone would come out with a hack to disable that. I heard that iCab does that but I could never get it to work

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

it was in the 90's during May down here, and its been well over 100 already. It will also stay hot until about October...

16. cawhitepdx macrumors newbie

Probably got a piece of scumware

You probably got a piece of adware like Gator or Bonzi Buddy installed. In the PC world, there are lots of "browser helpers" that exploit holes in Internet Explorer to install programs that track your movements online. Then other companies (like Dell) pay these people to "redirect" your browser when you type a competitors URL to them. I really recommend you get ad-aware from: http://www.lavasoftusa.com and scan your system.

There are even ones that will scan every field you fill in on webforms and send the info to there central servers. All more reasons why I am finally getting around to buying a Mac again.. :)

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That is just sick... We should see lower temps on a regular basis come September up here. I remember while I lived in FL, how it would be over 80 on Halloween... ~70° on xmas is just sooo WRONG!!!

BTW, I love the winters up here. It is far easier for me to deal with the frigid North, then the summer heat. The only bad point about the winter, is the ice on the roads prevents me from riding the Harley year round.