Dell and their fake profits

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by macEfan, Aug 16, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Dell to restate earnings after probe

Read the whole article below...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/ap_on_hi_te/dell_restatement;_ylt=ApjpDe.Qnn6QtuHJMXKi2w8jtBAF

Hmm reminds me of this famous saying that Mr. Dell said about apple in 1997...looks like it backfired on him:D

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," -Michael Dell

2. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Just goes to show that you can't trust all the numbers that the companies provide.

3. macrumors 68020

ham_man

At the time, that's what pretty much any businessman would do. Apple hit rock bottom in the mid/late nineties...

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yep...clones and expensive computers almost caused apple to crumble... good thing steve came back:D

5. macrumors 6502a

teflon

6. macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Any ORDINARY businessman. A real visionary (read Steve Jobs) would and did think differently. :p

7. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

How the heck is Dell struggling? Every PC user I know (and that's a lot of people) has a Dell, the huge Fortune 100 company I am currently contracting with has Dells as all of its workstations (including the one I'm using. Ugh). They're everywhere. How can they be having troubles?

8. macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

How has their stock not plummeted today after hearing this?

9. macrumors demi-god

They're struggling in the sense that it was a given that they'd make the amount of profit that Wall Street expected. Now it's not such a given that they'll hit their marks.

10. macrumors 6502a

teflon

They're struggling in the sense that their profit/market share has been falling for the past few years when other companies and the whole computer industry is growing. They now have more and tougher competitions, and they're not keeping up. Asian companies like Acer is stealing their lower end market, and their low-margin, high-volume strategy is starting to come back and bite them. Btw, I hardly know anyone who has a Dell. Yes, many companies have them, but for personal use, the only person I know who has a Dell is my uncle :(. Most people I know seems to like HP, Compaq, Acer, Sony and Apple :D:D.

11. macrumors G4

dmw007

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

Aww, I almost feel bad about getting a replacement monitor for a single dead pixel... :D

13. macrumors 604

zap2

nah....Apple still had $$$ left in the bank, not tons, but some.

14. macrumors 6502a

teflon

I salute you for doing so ;):p:D.

15. macrumors G4

dmw007

Are you sure that your current one does not need replaced as well? :p ;) :D

16. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Dell is lucky they shipped me the proper 20" Widescreen LCD that I ordered. I paid more money for the better model, but if they didn't give me an S-IPS model, I would have kept returning it until they did. ;) More than 2 dead pixels would also mean more returns.

17. macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

...keep in mind that Microsoft's investment in Apple had just as much to do with its resurrection as did Steve Job's management skills.

I personally love my Dell, and all you have to do is look to the "post your mac setup" thread to see that they offer a quality monitor at a FAR better price than the ACD. Though I have my issues with Dell, and their accounting fraud is bull, I really hope they pull out of this. On the upside, they're listening to their customers more than ever... they even offer Ubuntu.

18. macrumors Core

Dagless

19. macrumors 604

zap2

Nope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.
    http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?FilingID=251804&Type=HTML

Apple wasn't in good shape, they had been losing $$ since 1993, but the iMac G3 was to come out next year, and Apple would start to make money again soon. They could have survived with out the 150M from MS.

Office was a much bigger deal, seeing how MS is still making Office for Mac OS.

20. macrumors 6502a

Adokimus