Dell Computer + MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas04, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

A friend called me and said the dreaded blue screen of death was popping up on their Dell Computer. Thier Hard Drive is fine, but they dont want to re-install the OS because they dont want to loose their files. So they would like me to try and get the files off the hard drive, transfer them somewhere re-install the OS and than put their files back.

So my question is... what is the best way to connect a Hard Drive in a computer to my MBP? I was thinking through firewire but the blue screen appears quickly after booting up.
    Would connecting it to an external enclosure (the hard drive) be the only way?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Can't you start up a PC in Target Disk Mode? I thought you could. But then, I know feck all about PCs... :eek:

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Hmmmm... I'm not sure if you can do anything with your MacBook Pro.
    Tell your friend to take his computer to CompUSA.
    Then ask them to make a back up his computers hard drive to DVDs.
    It'll cost around $60 or something.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Nope.

Yup, just like everyone else here who bashes Windows :p

You need to remove the Dell's drive out of the PC, place it in a Firewire enclosure and mount it on the Mac. It'll probably be NTFS so don't be surprised if you can't write to it - and in any case all you need to do is to read it. Back up appropriate files. (If you don't know what you're doing / copying, I would suggest that $60 service as being potentially less of a hassle.)

Before attempting re-installation of Windows (after re-installing the disc), I'd suggest you examine the system for any potential hardware-related causes of the BSOD. Dells come with diagnostics tools on a separate partition which can be accessed using the CD that came with it - examine the systems documentation or contact support for exact details. If it passes, re-install Windows, electing to format the disk.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Are you able to boot the dell in "safe" mode? It's been so long since I had to do it, I can't remember what button you push to reach a menu of how to boot up windows, but you should be able try safe mode. I've found that a lot of problems don't affect safe mode. I think USB drivers remain active in safe mode as well...

7. mleary macrumors regular

If it is blue screening it is most likely a hardware problem and reinstalling the OS will not help.

8. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

supposedly they have been on the phone with dell for a few days now and they have gone through all the diagnostic and the technition said that they need to re-install. The first thing I asked her was yes ^^ if the hard drive could of failed and she said they had run all the diagnostics with Dell. but that was my frist reaction as well. Safe mode im assuming, doesnt work either. :rolleyes: :(

This is why i bought a Mac. :)

9. mleary macrumors regular

Hardware fails on macs too.

10. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Edit: I think you caught me before i edited it.. lol

haha yeah it does but its funner to bash windows and pretend like it doesnt... especially cause its dell :) hahaha.

But Im fully aware the same thing may happen to me... :-/ but preferably wont... (knocks on wood)

and it wasnt hardware issue member.. lol they supposedly have "gone through that" possibility.

11. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

F8 right after the OEM logo disappears when you first turn on the computer. :)

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Man, you ain't kidding. The MB, MBP and to a much lesser extent the iMac this year makes the most unreliable Dell I've had seem like a dream.

13. reflex macrumors 6502a

Another option is to boot the Dell with a Linux live cd/dvd. If that works, you can copy files over the network.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Check the BSOD for details of what is causing the error. BSOD's are pretty cryptic but more informative than the OS X equivalent. Graphics card drivers are often causes of BSOD's, and I've also had ethernet card drivers cause them too over the years. If it happens soon after the computer boots it's quite possible that it's something to do with a piece of hardware being initialised with a faulty driver.

:rolleyes: @ Sesshi :D