Dell Dimension DeskTop Commercials...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SYL, Mar 5, 2002.

1. SYL macrumors newbie

Everytime I see the commercial, I always swear that the narrator is saying..

"Now you can get a new Dell DEMENTED Desktop"

Anybody else hear this? Or are there forces at work trying to pull me to the darkside?

;)

ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH!

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Dude, you're getting a DEMENTED computer

That sounds about right to me.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I thought it was "dimentia"?!?

"Now you can get a new Hell Dimentia........"

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

dell must have done something right in the education market, because they displaced apple as the top education seller

the local junior college where i take cisco classes just got 25 new dells and three of them were DOA...that is more than 10 percent failure rate for these desktops...not very good

they were 8200 pentium 4s with flat panel monitors and the monitors are yet to come in after two weeks...go figure

stick with apple if you don't need an ibm compatible pc

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

According to whose figures? Last I heard, Apple was back on top.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's a hat trick.

Dell is losing money.

Dell is coming to the end of a fiscal year, their numbers AND their product suck.........what to do............

Dell sells aforementioned suck product at under retail (still well above cost) to schools, declares it as a "charitable contribution" Tax right-off and TA DAH! Dell has better numbers to show their investors at Quarter's end.

Enronism isn't confined to one company.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

cnn.com and time-warner inc. but that was some months ago (or more) and i wouldn't be suprised if apple jumped back on top, especially since we have the new imac...which i might make my next computer

i hope apple regains 5% percent of the market and goes to 6% percent where it was in '96...all this talk of going to 10% percent of all computers with just one product release is wishful thinking, maybe 10% percent of all "new sales" but that is different because there are tons of users stubbornly hanging on to their old pc boxes and are quite happy...i am talking about having 10% percent of the total market (new and used)

if we want to take back a market dominated by M$, we will have to fight for every inch, unfortunately

someone tell me i am wrong and microsoft will just fold and cede the market to apple

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: It's a hat trick.

sounds like mike dell ;)

an investor just told me cisco is into funny stuff too and may make enron look ok...so much for the backbone of the dot.com revolution

i hope cisco is around long enough for me to at least finish the cisco class i am in since some of the assignments are on their website ;)

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK, that was for the previous year. As far as I know Apple is still #1 in education.
    The one thing that I'm not sure they consider is the fact that Macs last much longer than their PC counterparts and hold relative performance and value. If they are going on number of machines bought each year, the scales might tip in favor of the Dells. But if you look at % in use, Macs are definitely on top.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

most california colleges buy computers only once every five years or so...so macs are a better deal

at the jc where i take classes now for 23 years, we just got some pentium 3s and 4s, before that we had pentium 1s, and before that, we had 286 machines, and before that, nothing except textbooks

my first techie related class in 1982 studied punch cards, binary math, and mainframes and the class was called data processing because there was no such term as computer science from what i have seen back then...and the sf 49ers only had one super bowl under their belt and ronald reagan was prez, and michael jackson looked like a man, not a woman and many of you macrumors folk were not even born yet:D

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5 years...damn...

Luckily the lab I support gets funding every three years for new machines.
    We warranty them for 3 years and when that time is up, auction them off or give them away.
    I couldn't live with using a 5 year old system...

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and you work for a cal state, uc, or california community college school? wow, your school must have friends because the duke, pete wilson, and gray davis only lets the schools get them every 5 years or so and no more often as far as i know...ok, maybe every 4.5 yers

and our in house techies at the campus fix the machines so it's all just the standard one year warranty...no bells and whistles here whre i go to school

we are still on T1 and are only now bringing in gigabit ethernet...laugh if you want, but california is a poor state education funding wise even though our governor seems to give perks to enron as well as our vice president

that's it...woz for prez:D

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and our top of the line cal state campus by way of high tech stuff still has blue and white g3s as their main machines and their unix machines are only at 700 mhz...i checked it out last month

and i don't think gray davis will help us any...and i am a democrat but may vote for the other guy if he or she even hints of helping the california schools

i am in the IT field and the techies coming out of college are of the poorest quality i have ever seen and part of it is because they don't have access to the latest and greatest hardware or software wise...it is a crying shame and our governor would rather give tax breaks to corporate crooks than make our state's techies worth their salt

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

CSU

San Diego State

As far as I know the whole campus works the same way. Only thing is, the budget for the next couple of years looks pretty tight. Good thing we upgraded our PCs last summer. Hopefully the Macs make it for this cycle.
    A lab full of the new iMacs is what I'm pushing for. :D

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Our Mac lab is Blue and Whites too, bought when they first became available.
    Just updated the PCs to Dell GX150 Optiplex (1 Ghz P3). Four of the 50 required replacement parts.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i wish i was at your school

csumb is still into the dot.com revolution and they are pushing e-commerce because it took thousands to set up the program and get the teachers and by god, they will teach you how to set up a multi-million dollar ipo from your garage if it kills them

and the junior college is pushing dot.com techie stuff and ignoring microsoft thinking on the budget that dot.coms would replace brick and mortar...i don't think they thought bill g would still be around and they are committed to teaching WAN instead of LAN (where it is needed) in the field

teach hundreds of kids how to set up the next webvan.com...great

i want to cry

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

CSUMB

I thought Monterrey Bay was supposed to be THE tech school for the CSUs.
    They've got 802.11b on campus (wish our network would hurry up).

I'll be up there later this month for a conference (Digital Stream). I'll try to check out their lab facilities.

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hmmmmmmm............

I'm wondering if Dell will cook the books even further. If they unload beucoup CPU's into Education and write them off, then do their sales numbers from units shipped rather than units invoiced they'll look stellar considering the number of replacements shipped.

If they then count all the parts shipped out as warranty replacements as whole machines shipped per machine's worth of parts they may even attract capital.

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hahaha

I have a horrible CPU lab at my school. It is some company named micro link and they are horrible. The lady in the lab always says CONTROL ALT DELETE EVERYONE! Its funny...

20. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My EARS!

I'm sure my hearing is correct, and yes I do hear it!

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: CSUMB

802.11 is there and that is cool...they are a high tech (digital media arts expertise type of school, not computer science/engineering) but they are still so stuck on the dot.com entrepreneur thing, though...they are not even accredited yet and i would attend if they got accredited

the dean at my local jc tells me i could get a teaching job there if i get an accredited master's degree but csumb, though inexpensive, is still years away from accreidation (even though almost all the professors there also teach at the two accredited jc's, and the accredited law, language, education, and mba schools) so go figure

actually, the campus still has unexploded bombs from the old military fort so until they get the whole radius cleaned up, there will be no accredidation...not good to have students getting blown up you know

if you have time, contact us, and my wife and i could show you around (away from the howitzer shells, though):p

unicorn@mbay.net

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: CSUMB

Thanks for the offer, but since I'm presenting at the conference I'll be pretty busy.

And yeah, the base being right there kinda freaks me out too...:D

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

fort ord base

more than anything else, it's just unsightly but not really a military base anymore even though there are just a few soldiers there but it's not much of a target

24. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I go to UW-Platteville....we have a couple small labs that have some PIV's, bot mostly pentium I systems are around, we have a graphics lab with G4 quicksilvers but they are not maitained properly so they run like S***, and it gives the macs a bad name.....the mac lab also gives macs a bad name as they are G3 B&W systems with 128 MB ram, chugging along at 8.6, and they have like IE 4.5 and netscape 3....but those are locked down so no one can add software to them......It is a sad state the school systems are in.....I'm in a brodcasting major here and My G4 with a digital camcorder and final cut pro 3 is like over the teachers heads.....The brodcasting dept has an 8500 they they use for Grpahics sometimes, but since the macs on campus are so crapply maintained everyone thinks macs suck.

A sad sad state, well i can bask in the knowlage that i can do in my dorm room what a whole department of crappy equipment and crappy teachers cant do.