Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I just got an accessory kit for my iSight so I can properly mount it on my screen. I was playing around and tried the nagnetic mount for the aluminum displays on my Dell 1901FP... and it stuck magnetically!

Question is... is this safe? If it is... then a heads up to all you Dell display owners - Dell displays work with iSight magnetic mounts too!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Raven VII said:
I just got an accessory kit for my iSight so I can properly mount it on my screen. I was playing around and tried the nagnetic mount for the aluminum displays on my Dell 1901FP... and it stuck magnetically!

Question is... is this safe? If it is... then a heads up to all you Dell display owners - Dell displays have magnets too!

I'll have to try it on mine - interesting.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Chill guys, maybe I used the wrong word, but I think you guys get the idea... that the iSight magnetic mount works with Dell displays.

Geez.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
It would be interesting to know if the Dell displays have this metal intentionally for this purpose or if its a coincidence just with metal being used for structure. If its the latter, it has the possibility of really messing up your display.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Jay42 said:
It would be interesting to know if the Dell displays have this metal intentionally for this purpose or if its a coincidence just with metal being used for structure. If its the latter, it has the possibility of really messing up your display.

Yeah, if it wasn't made for it, it might not be such a great idea...

...but then again, aren't LCD not susceptible to magnets?

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
pdpfilms said:
Yeah, if it wasn't made for it, it might not be such a great idea...

...but then again, aren't LCD not susceptible to magnets?

Only CRTs output gets distorted with magnets

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Today, I got up to find a dead keyboard, and my LCD suddenly blanking out a few minutes later. My keyboard and mouse are plugged in the LCD by the way. I tested the keyboard with another computer, and it's fine. I switched the LCD to the VGA input (that's used for TV and games) and it's fine. Took the iSight off, re-plugged in the keyboard and all seem to be fine.

The iSight's staying off.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Raven VII said:
Today, I got up to find a dead keyboard, and my LCD suddenly blanking out a few minutes later. My keyboard and mouse are plugged in the LCD by the way. I tested the keyboard with another computer, and it's fine. I switched the LCD to the VGA input (that's used for TV and games) and it's fine. Took the iSight off, re-plugged in the keyboard and all seem to be fine.

The iSight's staying off.

I have been using it on top of my Dell 2405fpw with no ill effects at all for weeks now, so it may be that the problems you are experiencing are be due to something else. Time to check out that screen. BTW the magnetic mount comes with the stock iSight packaging - why did you buy the additional accessory kit if that is all you wanted to do?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
All LCD displays have a metal frame inside that is wrapped in a plastic case.

The components inside will not get affected as the magnet is too weak to cause damage. You would require some big and powerful magnets to do any damage on those pieces, which means if you have a big sub-woofer and its close to the display or any other electronics without a 2 feet clearance then it will be time to replace those damaged goods. ;) :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
weckart said:
I have been using it on top of my Dell 2405fpw with no ill effects at all for weeks now, so it may be that the problems you are experiencing are be due to something else. Time to check out that screen. BTW the magnetic mount comes with the stock iSight packaging - why did you buy the additional accessory kit if that is all you wanted to do?

I got the iSight used. Only got the iSight itself - nothing else.

If it's indeed something else, then guess it's not all that big of a deal... I got the Dell display used too. If it dies, it'll be an excuse to buy an Apple display earlier than anticipated :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.