Dell DJ and iPod ... from a differnt perspective

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Fender2112, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

This a picture of the backs of the iPod and the Dell DJ. A picture can be worth 1000 words or a few bar codes. :)

Have fun with this one folks!

Attached Files:

2. synthetickittie macrumors regular

have fun with what? its just the backs up the two? am I missing something that you see and I dont?

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think he was intending on showing how the back of ipod is much "cleaner" than that of the dell dj.

this is true for laptops as well. there are no ugly indents and specification certification marks placed around my PB, not to mention "intel inside" or "designed for Microsoft Windows XP" stickers. :D

4. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

It's called "Attention to Detail". Apples does it well. Ohters don't. Even when they imitate or copy they still miss the details.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

The Dell looks like a garage door opener. It may work as well as one.

6. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That would be an interesting feature for the iPod. "Tired of having your garage door opener and MP6's (they'll be standard by that time :D) in two different units? Introducing the new iPod. Click. Open. Listen"

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I have to agree with you on that, but when I have the dollers I'm buying a Creative Nomad 60GB for $508AUD, instead if the 40GB iPod for $900AUD.

What is it with The Apple community and comparing everything to DELL? There are other manufactures out there, most of whome sell better products at a lesser cost?

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Probably because Dell is the largest PeeC manufacturer in the U.S. They have name recognition, and that means the average consumer (the same people Apple markets to) knows their name.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

I think that picture sums up nicely the difference that attention to detail makes.

Having a label like that on the back of your computer probably doesn't make much difference, but when you're carrying around a portable player, I'd say it counts for something.

Oh, and on the Dell comparisons, it's because Apple's sales sytem is loosely based on Dell's, and Dell, being the biggest, a maker of everything, and (usually) the cheapest on the market (hence the biggest), begs comparison to just about anything.

By the way, manitoubalck, you're got a valid point in terms of comparison, but your post sort of implies that Nomad's Zen is a better product. Were that so unquestionably true, I have my doubts that the iPod would be considerably more popular than it (or EVERY OTHER portable digital player to date).

Yes, if you want storage per dollar, Nomad has the advantage, but it's also half again as heavy and twice the physical volume, which is a compelling argument in the iPod's favor for many people.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is off the actual topic, but still interesting. I just saw a new Dell ad on TV. It reminded me a lot of "Gomer Pyle USMC." At the end they had a man doing pushups out in the rain, trying to decide on a hard drive.

12. Totalshock macrumors member

<Devilsadvocate>
    On the other hand, the Dell DJ's back won't scratch up every time I look at it, unlike a certain 30-GB toy I could mention....
    </Devilsadvocate>

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, but those rubber feet (that's what they are right?) will catch on your pocket liner and become lint camps.