Dell DJ commerical

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ITR 81, Dec 13, 2003.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I just saw the new Dell DJ commerical.
    It basically starts out with a guy stealing all the local kids jobs to make enough money to buy an HD MP3 player.

Dell shows him looking at what appears to be a rio or samsung but has no names on it and then says why buy a high priced MP3 Player when you can buy a Dell DJ for so much less. It actually then shows the price of the DJ and says right below it that it's priced below the price of the iPod.
    Then it goes on with some special they have on computers..like they always do.

I found it funny they didn't even use the Apple iPod but another brand but referred to the iPod in their price comparison. To make a commerical like this tends make one believe the Dell DJ isn't selling too well, which it isn't around here.

2. Steradian macrumors 6502

Well who else are they going to compare the dell DJ with, I mean other than creative labs there is not much out there. iPod is king, and rightly so, with such a great form factor, and intuitive controls. I hope to be the owner of one in the near future :D

3. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Re: Dell DJ commerical

That's pretty close to false advertising. Of course there's nothing we can do about it.

Funny that if the situation was reversed, it would plastered over every message board on the net. If the news medias were bored, they might even make one of those mini 1-day crises out of it.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It would have been funny if they copied Apple's colorful ads. Wait..no that's not funny, that would be down right infuriating!

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I saw it the other day. It's not a bad ad. Pretty funny and I don't blame them for not putting the iPod on the commercial. First they would need to get approval from Apple to do such a thing. And second why would any company advertise for their competitor?!!?
    They did exactly what I expected. Stress price which is where the Dell Jukebox beats the iPod.

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

People can identify the iPod very easily, hnce putting it in an add regardless would be free advertising for apple. However since it is the DJ's main rival than it's only fair to do a price comparisum.

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

why go after specifically the ipod?

apple never really goes after specific pc brands of anything in there commercial...

yeah the do make some heavy claims about pcs in general, and saying things like they are the best at this or that.

but specifically saying buy this, its cheaper than an ipod, is lame

8. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Well...no, that's business.

Apple doesn't need to "name" anyone in particular, because all PC companies are their competitors...

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ooooo! i haven't seen it yet... i'm excited. and by excited i mean... well... not excited at all!! but i know it's gonna sell, i hope this encourages apple to work on some ipod inovation to make the dell look REALLY bad... not like it doesnt already

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Because Apple is the competition and Dell realizes this. Everyone else is on the same playing field as Dell except Apple who has a 30% market share lead.
    You go after the top dog in the market.
    *lifts a can of Wild Cherry to Apple* Here's hoping Apple drops an iPod bombshell in January.

11. acj macrumors 6502

12. Icekey macrumors member