Dell dropping their "iPod killers"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plinden, Feb 4, 2006.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Hopefully, the global mourning period will not last long. One, two, three -- oh well, my personal devastation has ended already.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I wonder how much money Dell poured into this thing before throwing in the towel?

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Um, mine didn't even last that long...did they even have a period where they sold well at all?

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Though I disliked the Dell DJ, less competition is a bad thing.

Someone needs to keep Apple on its toes...

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The funny thing about it is that I really liked the Dell DJ. But this is coming off of using a Creative Zen for a year and having the Dell Axim which I still think is the best pocket PC out there. Now, the fact that they're dropping it is simply because you just can't compete with the iPod. It seems only natural...iPod has the MP3 market and Dell has the PC market with HP/Compaq coming in a close second I believe. One day though there will be that true iPod killer that everyone talks about.

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Despite Apple's chokehold on the current market, I also feel that there will arrive on the scene a product that will be a real viable alternative to iPods. It is hard to know at what point that will happen, but it is more likely a matter of when rather than if.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Hopefully there will be a good ipod alternative to at least make apple push the ipods price down and push the design envelope the way sony, microsoft, and nintendo do with each other.

9. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I'm really surprised Dell are dropping these.

You are absolutely right, some other company has to come up with a good competitor ; other wise the iPod will suffer. We've all seen what happens in this scenario - namely microsoft.

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That is what invariably happens in the marketplace when the intended "killer" gets killed by bigger prey.

11. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

But from a realistic perspective, at this point who's left? There were two companies that in the past were widely regarded (and highly anticipated) to become serious contenders for Apple's share of online music sales: Sony and Microsoft. Sony stepped up to the plate and promptly struck out in a resounding blaze of disgrace, and in the case of Microsoft with their awkward, bland-looking rip-off to the iTunes Music Store storefront, arguably they never even showed up to the plate at all.

The key missing ingredient from the products of every company that declared itself an iPod/iTunes killer was (and still is) creativity. No innovation, no attention-grabbing uniqueness, no insight, nothing. Just cheap, silly, poorly conceived and executed knock-offs of the stuff Apple had already managed to establish and be successful at. And it's been nothing but one after the other. That, in and of itself, is nothing new, but what is somewhat new is that a company like Sony, with it's alleged, beyond reproach caliber in consumer electronics, couldn't come up with the goods. Staring right in the face of iTunes and the iPod and knowing full well what they were up against, they hatched a flat-out stinker. A fact all but ceded to now in the media, and far more relevantly, market share.

So then, where is plan b? I hate to point out the obvious (except for maybe Dell, who seems to realize now that it is obvious), but the door is closing - rapidly. iTunes and the iPod are so far ahead in the world-wide marketplace now that time is just about up for a serious competitor to arrive on the scene and do any damage. And the bar for that mystery competitor is going to be extremely high. Not only will the service have to be a fresh take on the user experience for downloading online music, with the user interface and ease of use exceeding what Apple presently offers, but the portable player aspect of the equation can't look like a butt-ugly, cheap Star Trek prop sitting on the shelf next to the iPod.

I just don't think it's going to happen. Not now, and not in the near future - it's never going to happen. Why? Because the companies that at least theoretically have the capability are just too damn lazy to sit down and take the time to closely study what Apple has accomplished and why it worked, then plan, strategize and conceptualize high quality products that take the online music experience for consumers to the next level. But, alas, it's just too easy, quicker, and far less expensive to put out a knockoff of Apple's stuff and get it into the marketplace. Then, leave it to your marketers to round up the suckers.

Even if there were a company waiting in the wings that was actually clever enough to compete with Apple at this point, in order to really succeed they would have to bet Apple ceases all further innovation and improvement for about the next three years. I wouldn't make that bet.