Dell Dumps the floppy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sedulous, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) -- In what may be the wave of the future, Dell Computer said goodbye to the past on Thursday when it announced it would stop making floppy disk drives standard equipment on its higher end desktop personal computers.

Dell noted that there are just better ways to move your data around...

No kidding. Apple figured that out several years ago!

2. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Wave of the future? Goddamn, all your news people can go to hell. Reuters sucks, where's my AP damnit. *stomps around*

3. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Well not only are pc people copying the mac, late as usual but since they did it will be considered a great new idea. whereas when apple did people in the PC world wouldnt stop bitching how you need floppy's and they are so great...
    But i also heard that dell is replaceing the floppy with some usb device...

-aethier

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Acually I read that article.

They did mention that apple did away with floppies 'several years ago' but that DELL dumping the floppy it will make a HUGE difference.

die!

5. User X macrumors member

This just in........Dell has decided to stop supporting serial cables....it could very well be the single geatest advancement in the history of computing!

6. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

Why?

why does apple make all of the breakthroughs and then the pc users/makers take the ideas and everyone likes them then
    i'm not saying that getting rid of the floppy drives is breakthrough, but it was thought of a while ago

7. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Who cares what Dell does...they're goin' in the toilet...well, ONE toilet I know of...

8. kenkooler macrumors regular

<sarcasm> wow! that's truly innovative </sarcasm>
    They're only years late, as usual.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Floppies! Ha. It's about time for them to go. Actually just a few weeks ago a friend asked me if I happened to have a spare floppy so he could save some Word files for class. I felt almost as I would if someone was asking for an 8Track tape.

10. zach macrumors 65816

zach

it is the biggest revolution in dell since the "Dude, your getting a Dell" guy got busted for smokin pot

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

A little off topic, but about Dell. I service around 100 Dells, and I have had a Hard drive failure rate of about 40% in the first year (For computers purchase a year to 2 years ago) I have 6 Laptops at one client that were purchased at the same time where all of the drives had to be replaced after one year! (They all failed within 6 months of eachother)

This cannot be good for Dell's bottom line. Killing the default sale of a floppy really isn't a big deal. It is still an option. And very few drives ever get used. In fact we looked at removing them from one client, since all they did for us was introduce viruses from the employee's houses.

12. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

13. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002