Dell, embraces style ???

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by kretzy, Nov 13, 2005.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Ya, they remind me of the GameCube (or the other way around). It's partly why i bought a PSP and not a DS, or Altec Lansing speakers and not Logitechs. You could sell an old boot with properly done marketing! :eek:

llama

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

LOL
    comparing an ibook to the top-of-the-line gaming notebook? :rolleyes:
    but i liked the bit about "apple introduces a new computer and gets on teh cover of business week" :p

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I don't think Michael Dell has any stye.

One look at the house he lives in and all I see is a massive contempory eyesore that looks like an expensive to maintain and showy blight on the hill.

Expect about the same with any computer he chooses to produce to inject style back into the company.

6. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

I think the scary/sad thing is, is that people must think that these things are actually stylish! :eek: (where's the vomiting emoticon when you need it?)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

just bookmark the things, they are already uploaded to MR...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

yea, they look really nice in that cheap silver and black plastic :).

At least apple uses Ti (well, used)i, Al, and better looking plastic than dell.

9. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Wow that's ugly...Dell is just trying to dig themselves out of the hole they are in.

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i stopped worrying and started laughing after the first paragraph:

"A recent Dell ad in Variety, Hollywood's trade magazine, had the word "Style" surrounded by jewels splashed across a glossy picture of a Dell portable music player."

that says it all right there. they still don't get it

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Dell and others can try and make their boxes look as nice as Mac's, but they're still only going to be offering Windows.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What so many other "wanna-beies" forget that Apple systems are more than just about the exterior style. They are also about the engineering to make their systems cleaner than most anything else out there.

I marveled at my iMac, when I first opened it to install RAM.

13. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Unfortunately the latest iMac's don't seem to be designed that way - two screws remove a small grill at the bottom of the screen. Memory go in the slot - that's it. Doesn't seem to be an easy way of checking out the internal design work. :(

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh christ that was funny!
    I saw the new XPC or whatever laptops. They're like a cross between Alien Ware and puke.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Honestly, how hard can it be to design something nice? All they have to do is ask themselves, "Would Apple design something like this?"

:p

16. iDONTdoWINDOWS macrumors member

Those have to be the ugliest computers I have ever seen

17. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

The grill reminds me of the grill on the new XJ Jaguars (kind of). Apart from that looks a bit like a Dellised Xbob 360.

18. BrandonSi macrumors regular

What hole is that? Dell as a corporation is blowing Apple out of the water. Revenue for respective fiscal years has Dell at 57B and Apple just under 14B.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take my iMac over any dell XPS, especially on style, but that doesn't mean Dell is in any sort of trouble whatsoever.

19. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Sure in volume they're doing fine, but they have not met their expected revenues in like 7 quarters. Over basically the same period Apple has exceeded their expected revenues. Still a long ways to go before the two switch places, but the trend is in place.

20. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

21. Dark macrumors regular

Dell.....hahaha...what a joke. The only thing worse than windows, is a Dell running windows.

22. NickFalk macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Actually I find the Gamcube to have the by far best deisgn of the current crop of consoles. The PS2 tries to hard to look "cool" in my view while the X-box, well the less said about it's design the better. The Gamecube however states in fairly simple lines but bright colours - "Hey I'm here to be played with!" Design follows function.

Not that I belive that helped the sales of that particular console in any matter whatsoever... :p

23. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

The only PCs I've ever seen than have any type of chic to their look are the Alienware computers. This Dell looks like a cheap knock-off of them. Dell should just bite the bullet and accept that they never will be "cool" as long as they have the largest market share of the computer industry. It's like Walmart trying to be cool. It just isn't going to happen. Sure, Dell could hire a designer like the ones Apple has and then make their computer out of high-quality materials, but then they'd have to sell the computers for a few hundred dollars more, and let's face it, no one buys a Dell for any reason other than price. Apple can afford to have their computers cost a couple-hundred more to look good because Apple fans are a discrening crowd and are willing to pay a little extra for a computer that looks cool, works well and is made out of high-quality materials. On an Apple computer, everything from the mouse to the power cord to the adapters that hook up the monitor are all designed to look and feel like they are not cheap. Anyone who has ever held a Dell mouse in their hand can attest that it feels like a hunk of cheap plastic.