Dell Inspiron E1705 Availible with Yonah

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by toomuchstereo, Jan 6, 2006.

1. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

Didn't know if anyone had seen that yet. The high end Inspiron comes with a Yonah now, but the XPS notebooks do not. The ship date for a Inspiron is Feb 13th, so we may see a similar delay on the apple notebooks.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Very strange that the Inspiron does and the XPS does not.

3. Morn macrumors 6502

XPS is marketed towards gamers as I understand. Very few games benefit from dual core.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't see a lot of references to this model number out there or on Dell's website...what kind of notebook is it? A big monster of one, or a lil' one?

5. toomuchstereo thread starter macrumors regular

I went back to look for it again today. It was listed under the entertainment notebook link. It is not there anymore, I guess they removed it for some reason.

6. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

I was going to start a new thread, but figured since it was about this, I would just add to the existing one ...

Anyway, I was checking out Hell's site and their core duo laptop trying to see if they listed expected battery life or anything. Maybe its me, but I didnt see it. Also, MAN that thing is ugly! They dont give the height dimension that I saw, but it looks to be about 2 inches thick! They didnt have the weight on there that I saw either. They seemed to have incorperated a remote control as well, but it has so many buttons.

Here is a direct link to the e1705:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/top...inspn_e1705_sp_overview?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

From their design link, it's 1.6" thick.

There is indeed no mention of battery life, but Dell never mention battery life, I'm guessing because it's usually pretty bad compared to other manufacturers' similarly specced PC laptops.

Edit: when you configure it, and you come to the battery choice, the "Help me choose" link gives the following
    Dell has the choice of a 53 WHr or 80 WHr battery.

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was interested to see that it is available at 2.16 Ghz. I wonder why Apple didn't use that in either the iMac or the Macbook Pro. Maybe they're not widely available yet.

9. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Yeah I saw that too. I heard the iMac Duo's cpu could be removed easily. I wonder if the MBP's is similar. If so, it would be nice to upgrade the cpu down the road.

10. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

Built one with the 7200 RPM HD and 1.83...all the way just like the MBP that I am getting and theres turns out to be 3470...I spent like 800 less with Apple. I got a better looking computer with Apple. And I do not have to deal with Windows. I think those of us that got the MBP win. Apple is not only less expensive but also better.

11. howesey macrumors 6502a

Apple could have done, but it would chew up the cost of making the machines.

12. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

Well, I called Dell to get some figures from them. They said that I would get 4.5 hrs battery life off of the lower end batter for the Core Duo and about 6 off of the higher end battery. Well, that was interesting. Then she was like let me transfer you to someone in the department that is working on them because they can answer your questions better. So I was transferred and the department was closed. Lol...gotta love that wonderful customer service of the Dell Hell. So if we were running MS CRAP-P then we would see about that battery life. But OSX has always done far better on battery life than Windows. I am thinking around 5 or so for the Battery.

13. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

True, but Apple has never really cared about the price of their Powerbooks. It would also put them ahead of other companies especially since they are using the same exact chips now.