Dell is copying Apple, again...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by G4scott, Jan 9, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I have found another case in which Dell is trying to be more like Apple :mad: .

Apple killed the floppy drive with the introduction of the iMac. The iMac sold millions, and now Mike Dell wants a piece of the pie.

His attempt is not to announce a discontinuation of the floppy drive, but rather put cheap ones into his computers, so they break down, and they loose their usefulness.

An example of this is at my high school, which is full of dell's. A new computer lab full of new Dells (they're small, black, don't have PCI, and they all have win2k) has been plagued by floppy drive failure. Every, and I mean EVERY floppy drive in that room has bit the bullet.

To prove that it's not just an isolated case of misuse of floppy drives (tons of idiots use those computers every day), the floppy drives in the Dells at a special school (the IB school, you know, with the smart people) have also broken down.

Although Michael Dell may be trying to phase out floppy drives for Dell, he is doing a poor job at it, because networking sucks, so you can't move files around at my school, unless you use slow and limited e-mail.

I rest my case. Are these failures coincidences or just random acts of floppy drive failure? Is Dell trying to follow Apple's smart move in killing the floppy? Decide for yourself, and post away!

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Apple's going to lead the way...

in the past couple years there have been a number of cases where other computer companies have been influenced from Apple.....mainly been the colorizing products similarly to the iMac and it's many flavors. I think it can be sort of a compliment being payed to Apple that other companies are stylizing their own stuff from what we see on the Apple Store. And now, since Apple is moving past just having cool looking computers, I think there's going to be an influx of tries from other companies to match or outdo what Apple is with the digital hub offerings. Apple is clearly creating a pathway for others to follow...

3. kaneda macrumors regular

floppy drive?

what is a floppy drive? :O)

the last time i used a floppy drive like 7 years ago...the last time i picked up the floppy disk..was 3 years ago...here the exact phrase when i picked it up the disk "what the hell is this?"

4. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I wish I could go along with this with the laughter is asked for but that just proves that a low end Dell machine is as low as things go. With the market cutting costs everywhere, what can they expect but crap.

5. elgruga macrumors 6502

elgruga

floppies

Floppy disks are great for small roof tiles.
    They are quite excellent when used on dog kennels where leaks arent so important.
    Or on house repairs when you dont like the people in the house.
    Floppies are inexpensive and almost waterproof.

For transferring files floppies are unsuitable. better to use a roof tile.

6. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: floppies

I would have to disagree, while I promote the movement away from floppy, they are good for the transport of small files, eg. images or documents, quickly and cheaply.

Burning a CDRW is FAR slower than a disc for small files and zip disks are expensive in comparison.

7. Unregistered Guest

Re: Re: floppies

I think the transport of small files has pretty much become a function of email now which have no cost and involve the use of no media that can be damaged or lost.

8. Unregistered Guest

Recently, I found a 5 1.4 inch floppy in a rarely opened side pocket in one of my computer tote bags. This happened just before lecturing at a university where I teach. I asked the group of 100 college students if they knew what this strange object was. Only one out of 100 had even a clue.

I passed it around so they could get a 'feel' of the past.

Marcus

9. b8rtm8nn macrumors member

Back to the point

It's not just the low end Dells that have crappy floppies, I run a lab of Dell Precision 610s, all P-3 Xeons with Oxygen graphics cards. All come with a frickin' laptop floppy drive, I replace one a month (it would be more but I've taught myself to repair the spring mechanism internal to the POS myself to save time(?)

I would love to rip them out, but the students can't figure out how to telnet to their Unix account for storage, and the e-mail accounts are built on the same crappy Unix system. We are waiting for Central Services (he he) to build the Ubiquitous File Storage System, but that may take years. Can you say iTools? Too bad stats programs are lean on Apple, but that's changing.

-Harry Tuttle

10. Six macrumors regular

I know your pain..

I'm sitting in front of a dell right now. Not by choice, but because when the schools decided to get all new computers 3 years ago, they decided to go with crappy dells. They suck, trust me.. im not sure about the disk drives because I have never had a use for them. I hope my school learned from their giant mistake.

11. Normal Guy Guest

Delly-Daling

There's nothing terribly wrong with Dell Computer corporation. Given it's not an Apple. I prefer a Mac to a PC anyday. Thankfully my position as network admin at a school that uses only macs (130 imacs, powermacs, ibooks, and powerbooks)(3 G4 Servers with the works) Apple has the upper hand on reliabilty. 40 of the 130 workstations are 7500 and 7600 PowerPCs. For those of you unfamiliar with the pre-imac era its a beige mac desktop running at between 100-200Mz, 128Mbs RAM, and a 1GB SCISI HD. Another 40 are All-in-one G3s (the imac's big brother). After working with this school for 3 years nothing beats a mac. Dell puts service tags right on the front of the machines with 800 numbers for a reason. The secratary here wanted a Dell, so we bought here one. She had back problems though, and it was really too big of a paper weight for her.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha ha!!!

I got into computers just past the 5.25" floppy era....but they are still fun and reminiscent to look at...:p

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It just serves to illustrate

One thing many people overlook about Apple is that defective products are the exception, not the rule. "Bad" products have been made public in most cases. The basic feature set is simple, friendly and in keeping with current I T trends. The whole experience is so ubiquitously pain-free that it's easy to overlook how good a thing we have.

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

5 1/2" floppies

The coolest thing about these was you could stick them in sheet-rock (see also Gypsum Board, Drywall, Plaster Gyp-Board) if you threw them right.

Shurgeeken-Geek throwing stars.

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Ha!

I still have 'Karateka' on one of my 5.25 inch floppies. I would kill to get that transfered to work on my Mac. Any suggestions? Ive tried downloading Apple ][ emulators, but they never seem to work right...

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

karateka

Presumably, if it was written for the Mac ][ it'd be a fairly simple program. Perhaps there's a recompile that'd make it useable. Any idea what which language it's in? Swahili?

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

same problem

I have had the same problem with the Little black Dells. You have to jam thf floppy in there real good to get it to work. try and try again.. it will register. I was updating a whole lap via a floppy disk of those things.... its a pain in the ass.

18. dantec macrumors 6502a

I have a floppy drive...

But, the only reason I have it is because I need it for my school!

Same thing with Acers, except worse... : ( 22 out of 24 laptops in my class broke (about 6 had DOA, or really ****** diskette drives that broke down 2 weeks later)... Some screens snaped off, some hard drive heads got stuck together... Just imagine the horrible...

And...

There's just me sitting with my blueberry iBook (at the time, now it's indigo) in peace without any troubles... ;)

19. tw9876z macrumors member

the floppy is dead

i think the floppy disk died when zip disk came out. The floppy can only hold a small amount of stuff. I think the next small holder will be the cd-r or cd-rw. Thats what i use and since most well everyone i know people use cd there is no need for floppy, the dvd-r will be the new big holder, much like cd was a few years ago. I think the floppy should just stop being made, it usually is used for papers but since i dont have a floppy on mine, i use powerbook g4, i just send it over the net because it is so small. The floppy should, and will be soon, dropped.

20. dantec macrumors 6502a

Actually

Didn't intel, not so long ago... say that they were going to try and drop the floppy design? Such a dumb technology... and has been here for too long..!

The zip is great for transfers if you can't do e-mail. And to someone in who replied earlier: The zip is more expensive because it can hold 100mb (DUH!) and the diskette can only hold 2 mb! :rolleyes:

Now for Apple's new technology... iDisk!

21. amichalo macrumors regular

The Floppy and MS Office v.X

Any of you MS Office v.X users notice in the new verisons of Word & Excel, the 'save' icon, which used to resemble a 3.5" floppy, is now strikingly similar to a Zip disk?

I would like to point out that this is ONLY a feature of the Mac version of Office since Windows versions continue to use small, low res icons on their toolbars instead of the hi res, larger and detailed icons of v.X

22. atlascott macrumors member

Floppy!!!

Floppy tech is not dumb! In fact, floppy tech enabled the PC revolution--remember when you ran your OS off a floppy before HD's came along? Ok, most of you probably do not, but floppy tech allowed this whole thing to get off the ground!

Anyway, I think is is hysterical when the industry collectively **** its pants when Jobs phased out the floppy. Gloom and Doom! The End of Apple! they said! Now, no one uses floppies. You can email people anything that is floppy-sized, and if it is much more than floppy size, it is still more reasonable to email it. And if it is much bigger, you are better off burning it to CD. And for those of you who say it "takes too long" to burn a CD--have you used a 20x or 24 x? And coompared it to breaking the file down so it fits on multiple floppies? Faster and more convenient to burn to CD. Or email.

23. Six macrumors regular

Big Floppy Disks?

Sweet! You could play darts with the big ones! Just draw a target on some sheet rock!

24. Onyxx macrumors regular

transfer

I agree completely that the floppy is dead. The only problem is that 80% of the pc lusers out there don't know anything else. I had an image of the new iMac up on one of my school's PeeCees and the first thing the guy in back of me said was "still doesn't have a floppy drive and it won't run windows." Personally, my prefered method of file transfer is a small firewire drive. I put what ever I want on that thing and bring it where ever i want. Now if only I could afford an iPod...