Dell Latitude D620

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JoeJoe, Dec 1, 2006.

1. JoeJoe macrumors member

Oh, My, God.

Got one of these through work (didn't ask for it, just got it).

I'm sure it's a very fine machine, but my goodness. As the proud owner of a 15" powerbook G4(1.25 w 1.5 ram) the difference in look & feel is unbelievable.

My powerbook is a piece of art, I tell you. A piece of FRICKEN art!

Don't even start with the OS.

God I love Macs.

((friday night buzz alert)))

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Fugly isn't it when you open it up.

Works great though and is built pretty well, better for the road than any Mac. Mag shell and steel where it counts (points subject to stress). The dock is great. It's the laptop I and people who work with me (who aren't raving Macheads - I recently started working with a bunch of guys who can show the ubermacnerds in MR a thing or two) mainly use.

And if it ever goes wrong - which may not be as certain a case as the current Macs - someone will be around to fix it the next day.

If it's a C2D D620 with a NVS card, then the difference in performance should also be unbelievable ;)

3. Kendall015 macrumors regular

There were two things I couldn't stand about my D620. First was the screen. It very dim and "speckley": so much so that it interfered with reading text. Second, the keyboard was just horrendous...every single sentence I typed had to go back and fix something because a keystroke didn't register.

I am so much happier now with my MacBook Pro...it is on a whole different level of quality than dell. Don't get me wrong, the Dell is decent, but because Dell cheaped out on the keyboard and really cheaped out on the screen, I found it to be unacceptable for my uses.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You know something, I had a problem with the keyboard as well. It wouldn't register shifts frequently and just got worse. Called out an engineer, had it fixed. As for the rest, I find the keyboard no worse and no better than the MBP... except on my MBP, the spacebar currently has an irritating squeak. No chance of a next-day fix on that of course despite paying more for support :rolleyes: Screen's fine for me on the move. At each fixed location it's docked with a 2407WFP on the d/port.

5. batteryfast macrumors newbie