Dell LCD not compatible with Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hpeezy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. hpeezy macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2004
    vancouver, bc
    i've just noticed that on the Dell website, in the tech specs for the UltraSharp 1704FPV 17-inch LCD monitor, that it says "Compatiblity: PC" and no mention of Mac.

is this true?? i'm positive I've read threads on this forum where people were discussing Dell LCD's vs. Apple Displays.. and shouldn't a standard DVI connection work no matter what platform you're using?

also, which would you choose:
    1) the Samsung 715V 17" LCD monitor at $399 (total cost, Canadian dollars)
    2) the Dell 1704FPV 17" LCD monitor at $460 (total cost, Canadian dollars)
  2. mcl macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2002
    Ignore the "compatibility" thing. Most places don't ever put "mac" because they never test macs with the displays.

I've got a Dell 2001FP, and it works just fine with my 12".

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    There is no such thing as a platform specific monitor as it is driven by hardware.
    I would pick Samsung, they're amoung the best out there.
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I use a Dell 20" LCD monitor with my 15" Al Powerbook w/o problems. Any monitor that uses a DVI standard connector (or a VGA standard connector, for that matter) should work with basically any computer - Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. All modern monitors make it possible to retrieve information regarding what resolutions they support, and at what refresh rate(s); so any modern OS can intelligently decipher that info and pick display settings that will work.