dell LCDs: monitor vs. TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hpeezy, Mar 16, 2005.

1. hpeezy macrumors newbie

Dell's deal of the day today, is their 19" W1900 LCD TV for $699 CAD (instead of $929) and it features a PC (DVI, VGA) input..

does anyone know how their LCD TV's compare to the monitors? would they look as good or different?

i'm in the market for a new monitor (still can't believe i missed their 20" widescreen deal this past weekend!!) and i also have a tv outlet in my room that has nothing to connect to so that would be handy too... but i'm not sure if the picture quality of a "TV" is the same as their computer monitors...

and if it's wide aspect, would it stretch everything out to fit the screen or actually give me more screen real estate? it's native resolution is 1280x768 @ 60Hz

please help; the deal ends today!

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the 25% off deal on the 20" widescreen LCD? Those deals seem to come and go quite often. Not sure if you guys up north get the same deals though...

And the quality of the TV when plugged into the computer will not be as good as a real monitor. Acceptable? I don't know, but let me know how it works out as I'm interested in a similiar setup. :D

3. hpeezy thread starter macrumors newbie

no, they've been having a thing recently called "10 days of Deals!" where they have some sweet deal on one product per day, and it's only for that day... so a few days ago they had $350 off the 20" widescreen LCD, and i found out about it on these forums the next day!!

today's the last of their "10 days", and the deal is $230 off the 19" widescreen LCD TV..

so picture quality not as good, huh? kinda thought so... plus now i'm thinkin, i could just use the $200 price difference between TV and "real" 19" monitor and use it to buy a tv tuner (like the alchemy dvr) for my mac. and it'd be better cuz then i could record too..