1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Anyone own or used a Dell LCD? Wondering how the picture quality is and how well dell products hold up over the long term. They seem to have a pretty good sale on them right now. I've been looking around for an external monitor for my PB for a while now. I like the cinema displays, but they are just too expensive!

2. coconn06 macrumors regular

LG

I just picked up a 17" LCD made by LG that I love. It's the 1720P . It's received great reviews and was personally recommended to me, and I love it so far!

3. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I have two Dell flat panels I got just under 2 years ago -- one Dell Ultrasharp 1702FP (1280x1024 17" DVI/VGA) and one 1024x768 15" VGA whose model number I forget.

The Ultrasharp is not as good as the Apple LCDs I've seen (because Apple, the other high-end LCD makers like LaCie, et cetera, outbid them, I imagine) but it's pretty nice -- I don't think there are any dead pixels on mine, and it's holding up well.

The other one has some real problems -- it's always dim, sometimes the picture is shaky, and it gets burn-in that goes away when you cycle power on it. Of course, some of the problems may be the old Windows 98 box I have hooked up to it (soon to be replaced with a 17" iMac).

I've seen newer high-end Dell LCDs as well, and they're pretty good. Probably the best Dell product, in fact.

4. JBReed macrumors newbie

I've got a Dell 2001fp which I love. Running it with a AlBook. No stuck pixels, text is crisp and colors vibrant. May not be quite the quality of the new Apple monitors (haven't seen them side by side to compare, it'd be interesting to do so) but significantly less $$ as well. Haven't had it long enough to know anything about longevity but it does have a 3 yr warranty. This monitor has consistently gotten high marks in most reviews.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I have heard some good things about Dell LCD's and the price when "on sale" is very attractive. But......I could *never* put anything from Dell anywhere near my Mac, nor would I ever give Michael Dell one penny of my money - there are enough other excellent screens out there with good pricing (Samsung for one) without having to support that creep that does nothing but bad mouth Apple from one side of his mouth but then try and steal their ideas from the other side.....oh yeah!

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I'm typing this from my PowerBook through a Dell W1700 LCD TV. Love it. The picture is sharp and bright, doesn't ghost when playing games, and has every input imaginable (Component, Composite, SVideo, DVI, VGA, Audio In, Coax w/ TV Tuner - and quite surprisingly, came with a cable for each). I love the widescreen, it's pretty useful for my line of work. And hell, I got it refurbished for $400. $400 for a current-model 17" Widescreen LCD TV. That's an insane price. I've been quite impressed so far. I've got all kinds of stuff hooked up to it :)

7. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Easy there big guy. I've got a Dell UltraSharp 1901FP that I think is awesome!

4 USB 2.0 ports, 19" of fantastic realestate, no/none/zippo dead pixels, color and clarity is super (I'm not a graphic artist and just use this w/ my G5 for normal stuff...internet, word processing, digital pictures etc), and the price thru Dell's Small Business site (on sale when I bought it a year ago $519 to my door) was the best available. I like Samsung products....bought my daughter a 15" LCD from them a year or so ago and it's pretty neat although it's got a couple of dead pixels now....college student and with moves and rough treatment who knows???? My son bought a Planar that is pretty neat also and I had considered them but their price for a 19" was a lot more than the Dell. All told, the performance and features and price sold me on the Dell. I would recommend them whether or not Dell was bad mouthing Apple or not. Bang for the buck, performance rules. Cheers

8. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I forgot to mention that the Dell had analog and DVI output. One more selling point. Cheers again :D

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I never said that Dell didn't sell quality LCD's, in fact I indicated that they do. I just said that *I* would not buy one for the reasons I stated - I won't give Michael Dell one penny. I personally use 2 Samsung 172T lcd's - yes, vga and dvi...excellent screens, and they can be had for prices very comparable to the Dell stuff (except when Dell has their super sale on maybe)...just my choice, that's all :) ....oh yeah!

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

glad to hear you won't sell out. i'm curious....will you also never buy a pocket pc for the same reason?

11. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Last summer, my parents got me a 15" Sony LCD. About a month later with me off at college, they decided they needed to get a new PC and they got a Dell with a 15" LCD. That thing is the most worthless peice of crap ever. The picture is horrible and it has a bunch of dead pixels. Dell said they wouldn't replace the monitor because it was due to "product mis-use." They put the monitor on the desk and it has never been moved. (I guess Dell considers that mis-use)

On the other hand, I love my Sony LCD. I got a good deal on it at Best Buy and the picture is great. No dead pixels and it has been moved between home and college at least 3 times. (I know what everyone thinks about Best Buy...Don't wanna hear it...)

Of course, the Cinema Displays are the best and I am saving my money for one of the 20" ones. My friend has a 17" Samsung LCD and he likes it a lot as well but he says he would rather have my Sony. Guess that's my 2 cents...