Dell lost another one: Wife just switched!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DavidLeblond, Sep 17, 2005.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Ok, so my wife wasn't a loyal Dell customer, she cursed at her computer every day. But she wasn't going to get a Mini until next year. That is, until her computer crashed on her about 5 times this morning. Each thing she does on it takes forever and to make matters worse, I'm always behind her trucking along on my little iBook. Well this morning she said "screw it, I need my Mini now!" and we went to the local Apple Store and picked one up.

I swear the best way to sell Macs is just to make people use Dells. :eek:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's great! But it now puts the onus on you to keep the Mac nice and lovely -- shouldn't be too much bother, I think.

What kind of Mini, apps and extras did you get?

3. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

We got the middle Mini, 1.42GHz/Combo/Wireless/BT. The only extra we got was a 4 port USB2 hub (she had a 4 port USB 1 hub.) For now we're using her old Dell CRT and mouse with an Apple keyboard we already had.

I'm excited... no more dealing with that Dell! I hated that thing.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So you've transferred all emails and work over painlessly, right?

The few times I've helped friends move from their old PCs to a new Mac, email has always been the most problematic task. And every time I do it, I forget how I did it last time... :eek:

5. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

She's all GMail. No email to transfer. ;)

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Good for her, I'm sure she'll be much happier.

And if she isn't, I'll be glad to take the mini off her hands :D.

_Emerson

7. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

woo boy what a day.

We got the mini and brought it home and plugged it in only to find the old apple keyboard we had (the only USB KB in the house) didn't have a working space bar. So we went to Best Buy and they didn't have one. So we went to CompUSA and got an Apple Bluetooth keyboard (and a speeding ticket in the process... this Mac is getting expensive ;) ) Got home and the mini wouldn't talk to my wireless router unless I turned the encryption off (which isn't happening, all my neighbors use wireless.)

Finally after no help from Apple support I was able to get it using 64bit encryption.... does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on with that? its a Linksys router, my iBook has no problems with it whatsoever.

8. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

First, congrats on your wife switching...Dell's stink most of the time. (Their 1U rack servers aren't bad though.) Anyway, my mom has a Mini...I switched her over a few months ago...she loves it. =)

As far as the wireless, my mom's mini used to hook up to a Linksys wireless router and I could never get a full signal, nor get any encryption working besides weak ass WEP. So the other day I broke down and bought an AirPort Express for her place. Wow, it's flawless. WPA2 worked first time, signal strength is full all the time. Never drops like the Linksys did. Now I can go over with my PowerBook and get full signals too. I also shared the printer and can both printer wirelessly...nice.

It probably doesn't take dumping your Linksys router, but the AirPort Express is very nice and very easy to setup and get going. Maybe your Linksys could use a firmware upgrade to get the WPA or other encryption stuff working properly.

I do have a Linksys wireless router at my house, but my brother hacked another firmware onto it, so I can only say it works great too, but its not a Linksys firmware anymore.

Any progress to report?

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I went through Netgear and Linksys routers over the years and was never happy with them. I finally broke down and purchased a Airport Extreme Base station. My router problems are no longer. I'd highly recommend purchasing either the Express or the Extreme base stations.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What kind of router do you have?

If it is a WRT54G or GS (the 54Mbps Linksys ones) then you may have a chance with different firmware.

And congrats on the Mini! Hehehe, speeding ticket... didn't know a Mac could go that fast...

11. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I just checked the firmware, and sure enough there is a newer firmware that brings, among other things, WPA encryption.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to update it yet, my wife has been glued to her new mini. She's never been this happy with a new computer before.

The router is a BEFW11S4... yup, good ol' 802.11b... my next upgrade is to an 802.11g router but after a Mini, bluetooth, and a speeding ticket I don't think I'll be making any purchases for a long while.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

WPA works across pretty much everything methinks. And look at the good side-- everyone is happy but your wallet. Best kind of happy. ;)

13. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Make sure you pick up one of the AirPorts, you will be very happy you did. The Express may be ok for what you need. It works for me like a champ.

14. Cinch macrumors 6502

I'm trap with a Dell

Congrats! don't leave me behind :D

Just got this job, and I'm working on a sad Dell Optiplex GX270. This computer is 2.59 Ghz w/ 512 MB and running XP Pro. I'm still getting use to Window XP, but man is this thing troublesome. Let me back up and say that it works fine (even great) when only using IE and Office apps. But as soon as you run other apps that XP has trouble allocating memory, man is it slow! But this is a minor point.

Major complaints so far is its lack of personality, and a sense that you are always expose to whatever or whoever is on the net. Feels like I'm using the public restroom sometime. ewwwww :D

Made a big mistake of installing AIM the other day! This is one app wants to install itself in every place imaginable on you PC. What gives? I then spend a long time trying to find every thing related to AIM and AOL and deleting them.

iTunes has an awkward feel. Not like it is in OSX. :(

I don't know how people put up with Windows! I guess, if this is all you know than it wouldn't matter.

I'm going to have to imagine a clever way to persuade my boss to get me an Apple computer. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to think hard and quick about buying an Apple of my own.

This is my first post

Cinch

15. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Just say no to AIM! It is arguably one of the worst pieces of software available for the PC. Get Trillian instead, you'll be SO happy you did.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I gave a NetGear router I got the boot, and got an AirPort Extreme (the Express wasn't out at the time). One of the best moves I made. I couldn't say it's absolutely flawless (the flakey Verizon DSL line occasionally losts connection, and most of the time when it reconnects, the AirPort detects it and goes on, but sometimes it doesn't, and I had to reboot the station), the setup was as smooth as can be, and wireless printing works great. You can even scan with it! You have to know how to have the computer command the scanner to scan, instead of just pressing a button on the scanner and have it send the scan to a computer. But other than that, it's great.

17. Cinch macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thank you David. I'll give Trillian a go. :)

18. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

More Dell fun

I decided to just stick this in this thread rather than to bore people with yet another thread of me whining.

Well my wife called me today at work to tell me her parents are coming over for dinner. Ok. But then the clincher... they're bringing their Dell.

Apparently her mother couldn't get Word opened. And Norton also failed to run. They couldn't uninstall Norton either, or reinstall Norton.

Well it didn't take too long to find the culprit that wasn't allowing things to run... it was Norton itself! I booted it into Safe Mode (I couldn't even run regedit) and cleaned Norton out. And then I tried reinstalling. The first time it blew up in the middle of installing Norton, and then the 2nd time it blew up activating Norton. So I downloaded a AVG Free antivirus, that found 28 viruses. Glorious. But they wanted Norton (they had paid for a year's subscription) so I kept working at trying to get Norton installed.

Every time it would blow up in a different place. I was at the end of my rope. Then I noticed a single file in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run key... it was something like Wintems.exe. I googled that, and what did I find? It was a virus that among other things, kills antivirus software. I got rid of it, and Norton installed just fine.

Of course they don't have just plain old Antivirus. They have Norton "Bloat From Hell" Internet Security Antispyware edition which installs no less than 10 components which, I'm sure, each has to scan every friggin file you sneeze at. The computer ran fine when I had uninstalled Norton but now runs like a dog. But at least Word opens.

I

hate

Windows.

(I also hate Norton Antivirus... the one virus it didn't detect was the one virus that disabled it. How friggin dumb is that??)

19. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

It constantly amazes me how people believe DELL's "stink" and somehow, Apple Mac computers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now, i'm no troll here trying to cause problems, BUT, I have been a PC user for 15 years. And before that, a Mac user, and throughout that time, have had various Mac computers, including a DUAL G5 with OS X Tiger that I current have running.

I run a small network/computer consulting business, and after a year or two of selling "white box" clones, found the reliability and pricing of Dell computers second-to-none. Is it only Dell computers that have problems with Norton AV, or Office applications, or viruses? Of course not. Yet people constantly blame the "DELL" computer for that. Dell's are great machines, it's what PEOPLE install on their Dell computers that is causing their problems! Just like the phrase "guns don't kill people...people kill people", it's the same for computers...it's what people choose to install and how they maintain their computers. Most peoples computers I see that are horrifically slow, or unstable, have so much JUNK software and internet crap installed that it's no wonder it runs at all!

Secondly, like I said, I have had plenty of Mac's throughout the years. Are Mac's "better" than PC's? I don't think so. My Dual G5 has it's share of problems. It locks up (with the fans running like a jet engine) when I try to import video from iMovie. I had to uninistall the Toast Platinum software because it was causing my computer to crash. To me, it is not as intuitive of an OS as XP (maybe because I know XP better, but being a novice at OS X, the gauge of how intuitive an OS is, is letting a novice loose at it, and finding out how easy it is to do simple tasks).

I wish people would stop bashing computers based on brand, or even OS. Almost all computers work perfectly when new. Over time they deteriorate. Why? Because of what their owners do to them. Simple as that.

(I'm obviously not talking here about real hardware failures, etc. Those exist everywhere, and of course there are some real loser brands out there. What I am talking out, though, is people that "have had it!" with their XP-based PC and somehow think switching to a MAC is going to be their answer. I bet they could, instead of buying a MAC, just buy a new DELL, and start over again. And for a year or two, they would be troublefree again, until they start installing and downloaded everything under the sun, and let their kids loose on the computers downloading every trojan known to man just to get free games and screensavers!)

Soon, there won't be as big a difference between a Mac and PC (Pentium Mac's?)

My 2 cents worth.

20. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I'll soon get a spanking new dell laptop (inspiron I guess) so I'll be able to write a short comparison of the Dell and my Powerbook.

Last time I used a dell laptop, the keyboard keys stuck to my finger and popped out of the keyboard. Yay!

So I'll see how dell has moved on pretty soon (sigh, I wish mono could support asp.Net 2 out of the box :/ )

21. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I don't even know where to begin to answer that comment. #1, yes computers deteriorate over time. The Dell in question I was fixing was under a month old. So that goes out the window right there.

When her parents first got their Dell I ran the included Norton Antispyware before hooking it up to the internet and it found spyware. Thats right, Dell includes the stuff on their hard drive images. Dell sucks, ok? I mean thats all there is to it.

Read posts before you reply to them too, don't just look at "Dell" in the subject and assume there is a ton of baseless anti-Dell arguments within.

22. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sure, PC's work great for you because you are a computer consultant and know the routine for keeping them as virus free as possible and running as well as possible. However, one shouldn't have to be a "computer expert" to use a computer. Macs don't require their users to have a CS degree to be operational. I've been using Macs (and PC's for that matter) since 1993, and although they have their share of crashes and problems, they are nothing compared to the problems I've encountered on PC's. Take a look at this article to see how good an OS Windows is.