Dell may release an MP3 player like the iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macmaniac, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well Dell is up to their dirty tricks agian says Macworld UK. Mr. Dell may enter the MP3 player market with a 15 GB player similar to the iPod during his thursday webcast.
    Story Here

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

How do you define dirty tricks?

Dirty tricks? There is nothing wrong with waiting to jump into a market after it matures and this is exactly what Dell is and has always done. If you consider fair play being that Dell never enter the MP3 player market..... :confused:

Two things are going to be announced Thursday. A new Axim (Please let it be the X3! Mmmmm small, thin, wireless, and sexy.) and an MP3 player but only at 15GB. I guess just releasing a MP3 player is a dirty trick on the part of Dell. :rolleyes: Its all good with me. Anything that could potentially drive the price of the lower end iPods below $300 is a good thing. Apple needs to be kicked in the butt for sitting still in the lower end price range. I'm willing to bet the Dell offering is going to be around $200. The question is the size, and battery life. Style is somewhat important but I'm not sure how important. Doesn't really matter to me anyways since 15GB is too small for my collection. I need at least a 60GB drive, pref an 80GB one.

3. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Its not a dirty trick, its competition. Unoriginal probably not very well thought out competition.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I like seeing Apple gain and hold market share, but I know competitors are inevitable and even necessary. While Apple can get a temporary lead with an innovative product like the iPod or the iTunes Music Store (or, way back when, the first QuickTake camera), it takes the hot breath of competition on their tail to make sure Apple keeps improving their products and doesn't overprice them.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was just reading InformationWeek (September 8, 2003 issue) and came to an article about Dell's plans to conquer new markets.
    So a me-too MP3 player sounds right up their alley.

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I think Apple will be fine. I mean, how is the Axim doing in terms of PDAs? The Axim definitely isn't making as much of a splash in the PDA world as the iPod has made in the MP3 player world. Granted, the PDA market is shrinking whereas the MP3 market is still expanding. Still, the Dell will probably be larger and clunkier, which means Rio should be a lot more worried than Apple, since it will probably be a very similar device at a similar price point. I think the main difference will actually be marketing clout rather than price or features. I mean, the Rios already offer a 40GB capacity at a couple hundred dollars less than the iPod, but the iPod still reigns supreme in terms of market share...

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm glad that the iPod is the product most people have heard of, whether they have one or not. The Apple iTunes Music Store no doubt got a big boost of attention as a result of last week's Newsweek story. While warning parents that their kids might be putting them in legal jeopardy from illegal music downloading, Newsweek mentioned the legal alternatives, naming Steve Jobs and the iTunes Music Store a couple of times.

8. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Maybe I should strike my two words "dirty tricks" I just get tired of people copying Apple, but it will always happen so I have to get used to it. An iPod price drop would always be nice(Hint Apple) Don't let Dell undersell you!