Dell or Apple Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bdugan, Mar 14, 2007.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

I am graduating from college and want to treat myself to a nice big flatpanel monitor. I was on the dell website and noticed that I can get a 27 inch flat panel for the same price at the 24 inch Apple monitor. How does the quality of the two compare? Even if I dont go that big, I could still save more money with dell, so my only dilemma is which is better?

Thanks, and sorry if I offended any mac fans by asking about dells.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Get The Dell 2407WFP for $674

27" is the same res as the Dell 24" 2407WFP for $674. Why spend more just to have the same res bigger unless it's a HDTV?

Oh, Dell is way better unless you are doing printing proofs.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

dell is better, and cheaper. Well depending on how you define better. If better means matches your G5 then the Apple is better. (I fell victim to this). If better means more features for less money at pretty much same quality then the dell is better.

Don't be sorry for being offensive. Because the only people you'd bring offense to is the apple fan boys who start flame wars.

and as multimedia pointed out make sure you're getting the best possible resolution your eyes can handle.

4. dnordstrom macrumors member

dnordstrom

Apple products will always look nicer. ;) :apple:

But if money is of any concern, go with Dell. That's my opinion. :)

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

There's a good chance that Apple will soon be releasing updates to it's display lineup. If you can wait a bit, I suggest you hold off on your purchase to see what Apple releases.

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

we dont know anything though it could be today it could be 4 months from now.

7. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

well 27 inches just seems cool. Im starting grad school so in case i have to write essays and have other windows open showing stuff I have to read for whatever i write about, I will have ample rooms for all windows. I guess the 24 will suffice though...

Thanks for all the responses. I guess apple monitors are just like apple ram, way overpriced for what you get.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

^^
    Yes but they are beautiful. So beautiful I got one. :eek: :cool:

9. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm going to get 2 22" Dell monitors. As much as I love Apple their monitors are just way too expensive.

10. furious macrumors 65816

furious

yep I was looking at the 22 inch. It is a nice size for writing essays and Excel(shudder). When in Apple releasing iWork with a Spreadsheet program?

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

^^ You mean iSheet. had it a long time my self. (say it a couple times fast and out loud if you dont get my joke)

12. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

If both have the same number of pixels, you won't be able to display more on the 27 inch display than on the 24 inch display. Things will just be displayed bigger.

13. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Get the Cinema Display

Get an Apple display because it looks cooler, fits better with the Mac (in style) and has better color accuracy (if you are in photography).

14. slicedbread macrumors regular

The dell's are usually better value. The same screen size and resolution, very good display quality and at half the price.

Can't go wrong.

15. MP4-22 macrumors member

I would get the Apple one because it looks better and has better color accuracy, but Dell monitors are usually really good deals.

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I bought the 23" Apple Cinema Display because it looks stunning and is actually one of the cheaper SWOP-certificated screens available.

It is something I can proudly have standing on my desk and whether or not people want it, we live in a world that is far more focused on life style and design than ever. Everyone that sees it says "wauw" (yeah...pun intended on Windows Vista). :D

17. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

check out www.slickdeals.net

they offer great deals on dell monitors all the time.

If money is an issue, which it sounds like it is... go with the dell. No shame in that.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I have a Dell 2407WFP and it works just fine with my Mac Pro.

And now with the release of 10.4.9 (updated drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT) I can rotate it 90° and work in portrait mode… and that at least is something you cannot do with the Apple displays at present. :cool:

Also the flash card reader is a bonus.

YMMV though…

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

ACD's are low on features, but bugger me the quality of the screen and the unit itself surpasses anything Dell have ever made.

There's no wrong or right answer - you've got to go with what you need, and what your budget will allow for. Personally, after several Dell displays, it's Apple from here on in for me.

20. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Rotation Didn't Get Added To GeForce 6600 In PM G5s

Wow that's news to me. Very exciting Apple finally wrote the rotation into the drivers for the nVidea 7300 GT. Unfortunately they did NOT do so for the GeForce 6600 that comes in the Quad G5. So I had to buy an ATI Radeon X1900 for G5 to get that capability just so I could rotate one 1600x1200 Dell 20".:(

21. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Depends on what you want to use them for. Apple I would assume would be better quality but how noticeable would it be?

I would personally go with the bigger dell monitor if it's the same price and similar specs.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Like a whole new monitor :)
    Incredible how much it helps in apps like InDesign…

23. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Thats not true anymore.

24. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

25. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

get the dell 24" it has a much higher rating in color accuracy and brightness (even beats apple) dells arent as pretty but they are way cheaper.