Dell Perspiron @ $499

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maxvamp, Jul 28, 2005.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Does anyone here think that once the iBook moves to Intel, we will see iBooks starting in this range?

Max.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't think that Apple will ever drop the price of iBooks below $899 (Retail), if they even get that low. I think they have been in the past, though.

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

It is definately a possibility that we will see iBooks at $499 one day. Maybe in about two or three years from now. After all who would of thought we would see macs starting at $499. I paid $2499 for my quadra 660 AV 10 years ago and that was without monitor. And I thought I was getting a good deal.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that it won't happen until at least some time after Dell is able to make a non-crap $500 laptop. If you look at the Mini, Apple consistently refused to make a computer in this price range until they could do something artistic. The mini is a low end computer, but you have people buying them who also own much more expensive gear, without shame. Much like H&M clothes. I don't think this is the case with the lowest price Dell notebooks. When Apple can make a $500 laptop that people who can afford to spend more than $500 will not be ashamed to own (although they may choose something more expensive for other reasons), then Apple will sell one.

BTW, it is Inspiron and not Perspiron, isn't it. If you're gonna put something like Perspiron in the thread title, you gotta complete on the joke, otherwise we just feel all the build up for nothing! :p ;) :D

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I could not agree with this post more. Well said and very true :)

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The $499 gets you have the machine in some ways compared to Apple. The closest Dell comes is $788 for a 40gb notebook without BT or AE. Bait and switch if I ever heard one one.

7. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Is that a clever play on words or just a confusion of the term "Inspiron"?

'Cause, if it's a joke... it's a damn good joke :)

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Man I thought it was a new name of a dell line cuz then I was gonna say something with persperation in it...

But I dont think apple will ever make a laptop (full sized) in that price range. If they do then I think it could be an iBook mini (500-600 price range).

9. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I really do disagree. Take a look at this . Macs have come down CONSIDERABLY in price even in the past few years. I would imagine the mini's will come in a $399 configuration either when they go to intel or shortly after.

Computers are becoming a necessity (I mean to everyone not just enthusiasts like us :) ) and few companies fail to recognize this, least of all Apple. As Dell and others are engaged in a ruthless race to the bottom, Apple remains stubborn about quality and aesthetics while gradually inching prices lower.

Besides, an iBook mini would be more, not less expensive than a regular iBook. I could see the iBooks, without compromising quality, being offered for $500-$600 in 3 or so years.

10. MacHarne macrumors 6502

That would be a nice trend to see, but it neither realistic nor typical of current production and sales trends. Electronics usually aren't lowered in price, but rather are replaced with more advanced products at the original sticker price. Palm is famous for doing this - always releasing their most advanced PDA at the same price (either $400 or $500).

The pricing approaches of large corporations is not to lower their resale values, but rather to keep adding on technologies while leaving the original price intact. This way the company makes a similar (if not greater due to conservation) profit while offering better products and making you feel like you're getting more. Typically, for a price drop to occur, another product or product line must be announced alongside.

It was an unusual situation for the iPod shuffle to have dropped the $20 a few weeks ago when the iPods were shifted around a bit. That pricing behavoir is atypical and not commonplace. Without guessing whether Apple would produce a $400-$500 priced laptop, I would say simply that it certainly wouldn't be an iBook, but rather a new model. The launch of the Mac mini was a very bold move for a company that has prided itself on the pristine eloquence of their products; not to say that the Mac mini isn't gorgeous, but rather that Apple had, for years, denied getting into that low (~$500) pricing segment.

Yes, Apple occasionally lowers the price of their machines, but not by 40 or 50%. Like I mentioned, it is likely that they would just keep adding on features and performance improvements so they don't have to lower their profit margin.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

if apple want to keep the iBook equal(some what at least) to other window low cost laptops the need to lower prices to at least 700, or make a cheap "eBook" for around 600.

12. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Apple should make an eBook with a Celeron Processor for $500-$750.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In a a few years I think we may see pricing about the same as today for Mac's - but more value packed in. Unless of course there are major advancements in the manufacturing process.