Dell Printer on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yellow5, Sep 6, 2005.

1. yellow5 macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
    I'm trying to get a Dell 720 Ink Jet working on my girlfriend's iMac G5 running Tiger. As opposed to my new Canon printer which "just worked" when plugged in, her Dell Printer isn't cooperating. When I plug it in via USB it doesn't show up in the Print & Fax viewer in System Prefrences. The software included of course is only for Windows.

Is it possible to get this Dell Printer working on OSX, or is she going to have to get a printer that is more Mac friendly?

Thanks alot.
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Printers only show up if there are installed drivers for them. Dell printers used to just be Lexmark ones with a Dell logo on them (I am unsure about yours). If you did not install the Lexmark drivers package when you installed OSX you could try installing them now. Otherwise you need a driver from somewhere (there may be some way of getting it to work via the GIMP-Print drivers?)...
  3. belvdr macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    I used an HP Color LaserJet 4550 driver with my deskjet. This usually works if your printer understands PostScript.
  4. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2005
    Try to get drivers but I don't think new dell printers are lexmarks.
  5. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
    Personally I think that you should sell the Dell on Ebay and get a printer that will work with your girlfriends iMac.

After searching Lexmarks webite, I came to the conclusion that the printer maybe a rebadged z615

Now you would need to flash the firmware in the printer to get it to work with the Lexmark drivers probably.

Lexmark z615 specs,204816596_238081727_243408062_en_0_6,00.html

Dell 720 specs

Drivers z615
  6. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I agree! I would just get a real printer. Lexmark printers are the biggest POS ever made. The ink is ridiculously expensive, poor print quality, and clunky build.