Dell Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by setho212, Dec 23, 2006.

1. setho212 macrumors newbie

Hi all, just got a new MBP beauty and I love her. I am new to mac having switched from the PC world; however, I would still like to use my old PC printer. It is a Dell All in One 924. I want to install it on my mac but from what I am reading dell printers are not compatible with macs. Is this true?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

OSX doesn't have driver for dell printers, and dell.com doesn't provide drivers of their printers for OSX.
    try google for it, see if you can find some unofficial drivers.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Many Dells are made by Lexmark. Look at the ink or cartridges, and see if the same supplies cross reference to a Lexmark model, then look for drivers for that printer.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Honestly, I'd take that Dell printer, find the nearest set of stairs and accidentally drop it down them. Then go out and get a real printer. I know that doesn't answer your question, but in a way, it does.

You probably wont find a driver unless its a very generic Unix CUPS Driver. It will work half-ass at best.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Yep, Dell does not actually "make" any printers, they just rebrand other mfgr's stuff as theirs. Both Lexmark and Epson have made stuff for them over the years.

So do as CR says and try to find the cross-reference to the actual model # & mfgr, then go looking for a driver. If you can find that info, OS X may already have a driver included......

or some of the open source drivers may work also. Even though OS X has drivers for my Epson, I came across the GutenPrint drivers earlier this year, and they provide considerably more control options & flexibility than I ever thought possible :)

lookie here:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3