Dell Recal Badly Made Notebooks....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by whw5, Oct 8, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Isn't it the Power Adapter being recalled, not the notebook.

Apple has had problems like these in the past, and other companies will in the future.

It's called going with the lowest bid, and hoping they aren't shaving so many pennies that it will cause problems in the future.
  3. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    You quickly forget the problems Apple has had with such issues. Do you happen to remember the flaming PowerBook 5300's, or are you too new to the platform to remember it? Similarly there have been AC adapter recalls.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, there were coiled AC adapters for PBs and iBooks that mucked up quite often years ago, so it's not just Dell.

And if Dell wanted to recall badly made notebooks, they may have to recall everything.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    apple recently recalled batteries for the 15 al powerbooks

so we cant bag on dell
  6. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    Sorry switched to mac about a year ago. I'm not to brushed up on my mac history.
  7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    If I recall correctly, it happened to 5 people, and it was the battery, not the entire machine.

It doesn't pay to be a 5300cs fan sometimes... :(
  8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    It seems like you routinely hear about either battery or AC adapter recalls when it comes to notebooks, regardless of the brand of computer. They all get them from basically the same sources and when a bad batch goes out, there's always a recall. Apple, Dell and HP have all had recalls for batteries or power adapters within the past year.
  9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Right, and it's not even clear that those machines went to the general public. The machines were captured in transit, and the defective Sony LiIon batteries replaced with lower-capacity NiMH versions.
    Mine was certainly a piece of junk, maybe you were luckier :p
  10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I have had to deal with power supply and battery recalls fdrom Dell and Compaq at work. We currently have mostly a bunch of Dell C840's and they have very bad ethernet/modem jacks - I've had to have 3 replaced in just the last few weeks. Sure - anyone can get stuck with bum parts as they all use 3rd party stuff - Apple included...but over all I would say that Apple has a better record than just about any of the others - it is just that whenever Apple has the most trivial problem it seems to make the front pages as yet another nail in Apple's perpetual coffin.....oh yeah!
  11. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    So, every one of them ever made?

Just kidding. I don't mind Dell so much.
  12. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Well, my dad just cashed in on this power adaptor from this recall. Pretty convenient timing, his current power adaptor is frayed and on the verge of falling apart.

As others have said, I see no reason to chastise Dell for this. It isn't their fault, and I must say, they are handling this recall very well. It was a breeze to order the new adaptor and no shipping costs either.
  13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    yea, my roommate had this model. sadly she had to replace the power supply almost 6 months before they issued the recall.
    then again, in the last six months the logic board, hard drive and optical drive all crashed and burned, so she replaced the entire machine with a wicked stacked hp centrino.
    so it wasn't all bad for her :)
    but yea, the power adaptor frays badly....and under normal use (she was carrying it in an empty pencil case so it was away from any abuse).
  14. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    I had a 5300, and i never had any problems with it, but i can't really be a fan of it. I liked the 3400 and my wallstreet better.

I know its wrong, but when i saw the title of the thread i thought "so, they're recalling all of their notebooks." :)
  15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    Where I work, we are constantly replacing power supplies for our laptops. However it seems to me that it is mostly due to wear and tear. We also can't forget the ibook motherboard issues, causing Apple to extend the warranty on certain ibooks.
  16. pianojoe macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2001
    N 49.50121 E008.54558
    Dell Recall Badly Made Notebooks....

What? All of them? :D