Dell refurbished monitors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dreamsINdigital, Dec 19, 2006.

1. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi everyone, I'm thinking about getting a 20" Dell 2007WFP. New ones go for $399, but Dell also sells refurbished ones for $289. I'm wondering if the refurbished ones are any good. Do they have problems such as backlight bleeding, dead pixels, etc.? Are they always the latest firmware? Anyone here bought a Dell refurbished monitor before?

2. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    I don't see anything about warranties (unless I'm not looking in the right place?). You want a warranty with an LCD panel.
  3. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Do you have a link to Dell's factory outlet?

That price sounds amazing.
  5. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Yup, sounds good huh? :)

Looking more into it, I'm sure it does come with a warranty, but it may be a 1 year limited warranty, while new monitors come with a 3 year limited warranty.
  6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    When I was looking at getting my Dell I considered getting a refurb one, but the warranty thing put me off a bit:

"Dell Refurbished Monitors comes with a standard 90 day warranty. You can return your unit for repair or call in for technical support for up to 90 days from you date of purchase."

That's quite a bit less than the 3-year warranty they offer on it new.
  7. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Hmm, yeah that is a turn off. I may take the risk though, it's a good deal. Can't I buy an extended warranty? I don't see that option though on the site.
  8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    They are just fine. I have dozens of Dell monitors and some of them are refurbs. They have the same warranty, but they may have some cosmetic blemishs.

Not all Dell LCDs are the same. Take a look at each model, even if they look the same. Different model numbers can have different specs. It possible to find 2 19" monitors and have one be brighter and offer greater contrast.

I bought my girlfriend a refurb Dell monitor for our anniversary, and she loves it. I really don't think you can go wrong. Sometimes in Dell's sales e-mails there is a coupon for shipping or a discount on refurbs/close outs.
  9. hasselhoff macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2004
    I've got two 30" Dell Refurbs in my office, and a 24" refurb at my house. They're all beautiful, and have more adjustment options than the ACD (at half the price).

Also, if you use a Visa Check Card to purchase them, it should double the manufacturer's warranty. Not all of them do this... but many do. Check with your bank.
  10. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Really, how does that work? Do you have a link for more info?