Dell Says He'd Sell Apple's Mac OS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amac4me, Jun 16, 2005.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Of course he would. Why would it be a bad thing for any PC company to offer a different OS? But it won't happen, at least not yet.

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

It's going to happen, it's all just a matter of time.

It might not be soon, but there will be a day when you can walz in to Best Buy and buy Mac OS (enter version here), go home, and install it on the PC you already own.

I think it's great, I don't know what all the 'heart break' is about.

Apple is in the business of making money; they're not in the business of being a 'be different, rebel, don't conform' cult.

They will ALWAYS produce top-notch stuff. But their goal is just the same as any company: distrubute that top-notch stuff to as many customers as possible.

I honestly do think there will be a day when Apple will take over the computer industry, and Mac OS will be on the majority of user-computers, in the work-places etc. Mac OS is the future of computers. All in good time :D

5. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

I agree ... I think Steve Jobs will approach the OS differently this time around ... his previous decision helped make Microsoft what it is today. I don't think he'll make the same mistake twice.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I think that if Apple was to license their OS to anyone it would be with HP, seeing how they already have a relationship with them. But I doubt the chance of this happening anytime soon.. maybe, and I have my doubts, years after the processor switch is complete but not anytime sooner... at least that is my prediction. The only reason why I think apple would not do this is because it would set up competition for themselves and they are into making not only the best OS but the best computer experience.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Quite an interesting read. Although, from Apple's point of view.. mass selling Mac OS X like Windows would be very profitable and in a way good for us all as more software would come to the mac.

However, I often feel that we'd be jealous of this. Mac users like to keep to themselves in a way. We like to think ourselves apart.. I think we all like being in a niche market, where we can brag about our systems. I think this is why we all got a bit huffed at WWDC because part of our arguements to why Macs are better was taken away from us.

I'm the same though... but I don't know, perhaps an OS X world would be a safer and better one.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This will never happen under Jobs. Whoever becomes CEO after him, well, that's another story.

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i would rather shoot myself than see dells with OS X

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i think it will happen too, but then mac becomes windows. and what does that mean for mac hardware?

11. SeRgIo_42 macrumors member

In an yet imaginary world, where Steve Jobs is not working anymore to Apple and the board of CEOs decided to make the very last bit of money of Jobs' legacy, I would dare to say that this is indeed possible.

If this is a matter of time...I just hope that this will not happen in the next 10 years...or at least when my new iMac gets obsolete...15 years, then ? :p

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Steve's problem was he never copyrighted the OS he created. Microsoft took it and there was nothing he could do besides piss and moan.

jon

13. vaprof macrumors newbie

Dell already sells Intel boxes with Linux...

While it's true that Apple would sell more copies of OS X, how much
    would their development expenses go up, needing to support a broader
    spectrum of hardware? And if Dell is just going to build boxes to Apple's
    spec, what's in it for Apple? Why wouldn't they want to capture whatever
    profit is in the hardware for themselves?

Hard to see how this would benefit Apple, unless they have manufacturing
    constraints. With Intel inside (ahem), shouldn't one of the major bottlenecks
    be gone?

How hard would it be for them to port OS X to Sparc? Maybe Apple should
    buy Sun, given Sun's depressed stock price.

14. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I just cant see Dells w/ OS X in them. It's like putting a BMW engine in a Hyundai. I can see them, however, selling Apple computers. That would make a lot of sense for Apple.

15. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

that would be really scary. i hope apple stays with what they have.

(i just realized i am spending half my free time on a rumor site for a company.. i need a life)

16. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

From front page...

Didn't he say its about software?

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Whilst its not going to happen under Jobs, I don't think this is negative.

It shows that OSX has made a positive on other PC manufacturers and would, in theory be billing to license it - so there is a potential market for this.

Personally, I can't see why this story would be negative.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wont happen, yes Apple is in the business of making money, but they make much more money off their hardware sales than off their software sales. maybe once Jobs is no longer with Apple then something like this would happen, but its not going to happen anytime soon, plus they know that one of the reasons that OS X is such good quality is because they control the hardware that it is being put on, unlike Windows....

19. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

In today's day and age the issue is satisfying Wall Street. There is no longer as much emphasis placed on innovation, ease of use, and overall user experience. Today companies worry about their quarterly and yearly earnings reports because it's now an era of satisfying Wall Street and investors. If a company fails to meet expectations, lowers growth prospects and/or revenue guidance, or gives any indication that "things are just not right" within the company the STOCK GETS HAMMERED.

I think Apple is now a "Wall Street Centric" company. The iPod began the shift and the Intel switch continues the trend. Apple's objective is to satisfy Wall Street by growing both the top and bottom line ... it's all about unit sales, profitability, and margins.

20. mbamac macrumors newbie

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

it would be more accurate to, say, have a situation where you have a toyota engine in a BMW-produced car.

(ie. the New Mini Diesel is an example of that)

i can see pcs shipping with macosx...

apple hardware is nice enough to still sell alongside most pc hardware. if you ask me.

22. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Apple won't sell OS X standalone. They will continue as they have, except people won't be afraid to buy a Mac any more because if they don't like it, they can just install Windows and still have a cool looking box.

23. allpar macrumors 6502

Could happen

1) Dell is the world's largest computer seller
    2) "Nobody gets fired for buying from Dell"
    3) Dell has the imprimature of the corporate market
    4) Dell can scale better
    5) Dell can cover the "cheap end" of the market
    6) Dell can, in short, help increase market share especially in corporations, which is kinda vital, because with the under-2% corporate share right now, schools are sayin' ya gotta get Windows.

24. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Michael Dell wants to be Steve Jobs, Exhibit 3,291.

25. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Damn, all you people are funny!

This would probablly be one of the greatest things to happen for OS X ever!