Dell, seeking sales growth, embraces style, luxury

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 13, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

xtbfx

Yes, because we all know plastic is very strong.

Superior style compared to what? The other crap they make?

3. macrumors Core

dell's money making machine is in the business sector, it knows that they don't appeal to consumers, so they are trying to change that, i dont think it will work though.

4. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Dell and style DONT belong in the same sentence! :eek: Its like Microsoft "security" :rolleyes: When I saw the article I just started laughing. Even Cnet doesnt get it
    "But Dell, which was still shipping boxy, utilitarian computers when Apple introduced its iconic, translucent iMac computers in 1998, is unlikely to woo die-hard Apple devotees, analysts said."

Well why would you go from OS X to Windows and all those virses? just so you could possibly pay more money:confused: :D

5. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

how on earth could anyone think the new xps boxes look good... :rolleyes:

wow, really stylin' there...

6. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Dell competing against Apple for style:confused: Doh!:rolleyes: They must be smoking some reeeel good weed in Round Rock, Texas ;)

7. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not sure if I'm missing something-- when I click on the link in the article to view the Dell photos, they just look like all the other Windows machines right now. They don't seem 'luxurious' or whatnot.

Psst, off topic; did anybody else get a new window asking them to participate in a CNet survey?!

8. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

No devilot you didnt miss anything, you saw the emporer's new clothes ;)

9. macrumors 6502

The 50" LCD TV seems interesting though. Is this the beginning of massive screen TVs at affordable prices?

10. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Dell is going to start investing "heavily" in design and innovation for its new hardware:rolleyes: In the leading brand of industrial style toasted sandwhich makers now designing Dell laptops and a yet to be named designer for their HD TVs. As for their towers, well lets just say.....umm..... all of Dells designers "lead" their fields in industrial design......
    They might have money but that doesn't buy them style.

11. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I guess that could be considered a good spin off....:p

12. macrumors 6502a

Guys, don't insult dell for being dell in the past. They readily admit that they have not been stylish. The XPS systems.... well, true, they're not exactly inspiring, but they're a step in the right direction, and more than that, large companies have been known to find style through trail and error and lots of dollars- car industry shows many examples of that. They're doing this like microsoft, evolutionary, make a step and make the next one better, rather than apple, see the light of god, and make it perfect the first shot, because, well, they've just got the gift.

That sad, it's still pretty funny and sad they're not getting very far here.

and also that quote-customers don't want the trailing edge of technology, they want the leading edge. Um, then.... how did dell get so big in the first place? OK, customers want that, maybe, but they also want cheap, and, there are really a lot of them with a lot of tastes, so, yeah. it's just funny, saying dell is going to do well because of exactly the opposite of why they have done well.

13. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Maybe Apple will now have some competition in the "expensive" computers department:p ;)

14. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep. The only ones who seem to get it right now are Sony and Lenovo, they let their brutal black boxes be just that and it kind of works.
    Not this time, but they do that once in a while. And why are we whispering? :-D

15. macrumors 601

generik

But anyhow isn't Dell currently the top PC seller?

What would really freak me is a headline like this "Apple, seeking sales growth, embraces shoddy quality and low prices!"

16. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

This person knows the "new" XPS series are just the old XPS, D9100, D5100C with a new name right? They didn't even add so much as a firewire port to the "XPS 400"

17. macrumors 65816

Photorun

I read this and spit coffee onto my keyboard. Dell's R&D is one part looking at Apple and feebily trying to copy and another part absolute crap.

18. macrumors G5

nagromme

"backlit glow" = "combat readiness"?

= "better for gaming"?

19. macrumors 6502

more like = "better for throwing on a land mine"

20. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I hope you were laughing when you read my comment because I was when I wrote it:p :D

21. macrumors 603

solvs

The new ones are still ugly. The old ones were fine for businesses. Black with a simple look. People don't buy Dell because it's pretty, they buy because it's cheap and "easy". The new ones we got in look like servers. Silver with grates. Wonder where they got that idea. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]