Dell to iBook switcher!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, May 8, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I helped my friend get a new iBook from her Inspiron Dell laptop. She's got iLife 06 and all updates.

But how do i help her get her Outlook Express mail stuff onto her new iBook?

Do I need to call Adelphia (her cable/internet hook up) or Apple for help?

Any other switcher tips for her? I'm at a loss as I have been on Macs since the 80's...
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Easiest way (to avoid having to convert the Outlook Express mails to another PC Mozilla format and thence to the Mac) is to buy O2M which costs $10 and by all accounts works reasonably well although I've never used it myself.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  4. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    She should be able to save or export her Outlook Express stuff as an "mbox" file, transfer the file to the iBook, then import it into Mail using the File / Import mailboxes option. Choose "Other" and locate the file you transfered.

Don't know if that's the easiest or best way, but it should work. :)

EDIT: Or maybe not based on the other posts...

How about: Mac 101
  5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Okay, so I have been working on switching the Dell outlook 2003 stuff to the iBook for like four hours now... ethernet cord attached. But I have no idea what the PC address is or the iBook address is so I cannot figure out how to migrate the info. Anyone know how to help?
  6. andcraig macrumors regular

May 28, 2005
    I was about to type out a long explanation, but it was already done for me!

will be your friend.

prob neither has an ip address, or they're self assigned because you don't have a DHCP server. You need to set both of them to have ip addresses like and Windows go into network connections, right click on the connection. Choose TCP/IP from the list. Then enter the ip address you want into the box when you choose configure or some such.

In OSX. Open system preferences, Network, choose the connection, then hit the TCP/IP tab. Choose manually from the dropdown by IPv4. Then enter an address corresponding to the windows machine.

Then in Finder hit shift+apple+k. Should bring up a list of computers you can connect to. One should be the windows box (just make sure it has a password on the user account, or at least a user account set up)

or you know, you could burn a cd or use a flash drive.
  7. California thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Okay, now that o2M thing seems to have DELETED all the files off of Outlook on the Windows computer and this whole switching thing is NOT WORKING.

Apple? I thought this was easy. Seven hours later and...?????? nada.
  8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Don't blame Apple. It's MS's fault for making Outlook Express use a weird format for it's mail, and not giving you an easy way to export to mbox.
  9. California thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I agree that it is most likely MS's fault.

The other variable I didn't count on is that my friend does not know how to use the windoze desktop that well. And, of course, I am used to OSX spotlight and other easy and organic ways of computing.

What I have figured out is that o2m has translated all of her mail/addresses/calendar stuff from Outlook to a file on the Dell.

But neither she nor I know how to find this file on the Dell hard drive or desktop in order to drag it to a cd or a flashdrive etc.

In fact, I don't even know if WIndoze can click and drag. Those Dells suck bigtime.

Does anyone know how to locate these Outlook files that should be plainly labelled My_Outlook ??? Spotlight is an ingenious feature, I will never take it for granted again.
  10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

Oct 31, 2004
    That there big London
    I know this won't be any practical help, but I remember that exporting my emails from my Outlook Express to my new iBook was by far the hardest part of switching.

Unfortunately, I can't remember how I did it.

Persevere. It will be worth it.

Good luck!
  11. California thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Thx everyone. Got the mbox/calendar files off the Dell to the iBook.

But the o2m program seems to have erased the original Dell/PC's Outlook mail and addresses.

Oh well. She's switched.

Dang I really didn't know how bad Dell/Windoze sucked until today. OMG -- MSoft is not only evil it SUCK SUCKS.

The o2m program wasn't horrible, it was the Dell; so thanks again all.