Dell U2311H and Powermac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by h0ser81, Aug 7, 2011.

1. h0ser81, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

macrumors newbie

Alright folks, I just scored a hell of a deal on Craigslist. I got a nearly new Dell U2311H 23" IPS display for 100 bucks. I've discovered a little problem though. For some reason the VGA connection works perfectly fine with a VGA to DVI adapter on the video card but when I try to run straight DVI from the monitor to the G5 there is no signal. The monitor just goes right into sleep mode. Is there anything special I have to do to get the G5 to recognize the monitor or vice versa?

To add a little more info. I'm using a DVI-D single link cable. Do I need to use a DVI-D Dual Link cable?

2. macrumors 65816

adcx64

I think that is why you got it so cheap :rolleyes:
    the monitor itself might be faulty.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking it's the DVI cable. It's not the original one that came with the monitor but rather an extra one I had laying around. It's super long and only single link. I'm gonna try to find a shorter dual link cable and see if that makes a difference.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

And fixed! Did a factory reset through the OSD and it's working perfectly!

5. macrumors 68030

Congrats on getting it to work.

For what it's worth, switching to a dual-link DVI cable wouldn't have made a difference. The number of pixels you'd be pushing are well within single-link DVI's capability.