Dell Ultra Sharp 24" vs. ACD 23"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aminadab, Aug 29, 2005.

1. aminadab macrumors regular

I've done my research and aside from the fact that the Apple looks nicer (who'd uh thunk it?) I can see NO reason why I should choose it over the new Dell 24" Ultra Sharp. I'm seeking comments either way; those informed by personal experience (my friend's ACD looks better than my Dell, and the like) are especially desirable. Thanks much.

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

You see for me, the very fact that the Apple Display looked nicer would have won the argument. Just to clarify though; thats not because I have to buy all things apple, its just because I like to keep my desk looking like a coherant, clean and tidy working environment.

Apple Display all the way.

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

There are plenty of people who love the Dell monitors. There's also plenty of threads comparing the two monitors. Do a search and read the many pages.

4. cwright macrumors 6502a

I have the dell 24" and highly recommend it. The color and sharpness is amazing. Plus with the 23' Apple you may still have a chance at getting one with a pink hue to it (not sure if that has been fixed yet or not).

But either way, the Dell looks just as good. And being in college, I love having the extra video inputs (dvi, d-sub, s-video, composite, component) vs. the Apple display only having DVI. And the card reader is another nice touch.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i second that. the best thing for me is that you can swivel the dell to portrait mode. that makes excel tables so much better.

the colors of the dell are very bright. a little too bright for my taste. but that is probably only a problem for the graphic professionals. i didn't do any calibration either.

all in all a great monitor. get a dell coupon and get it for around $800!

6. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses, any advice on where I can get a coupon?

7. cwright macrumors 6502a

go to dealmac.com and sign up for their daily email newsletter... they always have the coupon codes. I've seen it as low as $779

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

search here: http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm

use the small business coupons and just give a fantasy name for your business. i used "inernational publishing corporation transamerica". somebody else used "captain humor". i got mine for $779+tax.

9. 50thVert macrumors regular

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71226

here is a great reference for ANY LCD panel on the market.
    There actually is an advantage for the Apple 23" over the Dell 24" because it uses a slightly better LCD technology....but if you were to compare say the apple and dell 20.1 inchers, you'll find theyre exactly the same. :)

hope this helps!
    -Zach