Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aminadab

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I've done my research and aside from the fact that the Apple looks nicer (who'd uh thunk it?) I can see NO reason why I should choose it over the new Dell 24" Ultra Sharp. I'm seeking comments either way; those informed by personal experience (my friend's ACD looks better than my Dell, and the like) are especially desirable. Thanks much.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
You see for me, the very fact that the Apple Display looked nicer would have won the argument. Just to clarify though; thats not because I have to buy all things apple, its just because I like to keep my desk looking like a coherant, clean and tidy working environment.

Apple Display all the way.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
There are plenty of people who love the Dell monitors. There's also plenty of threads comparing the two monitors. Do a search and read the many pages.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I have the dell 24" and highly recommend it. The color and sharpness is amazing. Plus with the 23' Apple you may still have a chance at getting one with a pink hue to it (not sure if that has been fixed yet or not).

But either way, the Dell looks just as good. And being in college, I love having the extra video inputs (dvi, d-sub, s-video, composite, component) vs. the Apple display only having DVI. And the card reader is another nice touch.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
cwright said:
I have the dell 24" and highly recommend it. The color and sharpness is amazing. Plus with the 23' Apple you may still have a chance at getting one with a pink hue to it (not sure if that has been fixed yet or not).

But either way, the Dell looks just as good. And being in college, I love having the extra video inputs (dvi, d-sub, s-video, composite, component) vs. the Apple display only having DVI. And the card reader is another nice touch.

i second that. the best thing for me is that you can swivel the dell to portrait mode. that makes excel tables so much better.

the colors of the dell are very bright. a little too bright for my taste. but that is probably only a problem for the graphic professionals. i didn't do any calibration either.

all in all a great monitor. get a dell coupon and get it for around $800!

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
go to dealmac.com and sign up for their daily email newsletter... they always have the coupon codes. I've seen it as low as $779

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.