Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" widescreen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Grasbak, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I was considering getting the dell 2405 for home cinema use. I have a sony dvd/surround sound player with component output.

1. Does any use the dell for watching movies? It is as good as anything out there on the TV market?

2. It is HD ready? - I have read differing thoughts on this and admit I dont entirely understand the techincal stuff. I would imagine plugging any reveicer into the dvd player (there are a number of inputs).

3. How would a current digital tv signal look (it would be connected through the dvd player)?

4. Using the vga adaptor I would attach my mac to the screen for vision and the dvd player for sound to be able to view movie trailers and slideshow etc. This would be assuming the dell could switch down ok to my iMacs resolution, otherwise make use of the screen spanning hack.

Any advice on the above? Thanks.

2. munckee macrumors 65816

We used a Dell 20" as a TV in my last apt. It never bothered me, but the picture is NOT as good as a real TV for that use, IMO. It's hard to explain, but the edges of the colors weren't very well defined. Had a little bit of a camoflauge (or however you spell that) look to it. It worked fine for us, but if you're a tv/movie-phile, you'd probably enjoy something with a better picture.

3. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I might not be 100% useful here, but I thought I'd give a few of my experiences with my Dell 2005FPW (the 20" model of the one you're considering).

1) Yes! I use mine for watching DVD's on my Mac Mini. Picture quality's as good as I could ask for with an LCD. The blacks, whilst not as deep as a CRT, are still pretty good. The picture's never washed out, and there are no motion artefacts (that I can see) caused by the display. When watching via the Mac, I see no quality issues when compared to an LCD TV.

2) No idea I'm afraid! Whether or not it can do 1080i HD will be dictated by the vertical resolution. If it's 1080 or above, it should be fine. I believe the model you're looking at has component inputs, which are suitable for HD (both interlaced and progressive).

3) I have my Sky+ box connected to my screen via the S-Video connector. Since you'd have component input, you'd be using that, via your DVD player. Picture quality's fine unless you're sitting pretty close. There's a little hashing visible if you're looking closely, but otherwise it's absolutely fine (relatively crisp, good colours). One thing to note is that a good quality screen really shows the cruddiness of compressed digital TV! MPEG compression artefacts which blur nicely on a CRT from a few years ago will be much more visible on your panel. However, that's due to the broadcaster's over-use of compression. I see you're in the UK -- with Sky (D-SAT) and ntl/Telewest (D-Cable) having launched (or soon to be launching) HD services, this shouldn't be a problem in future. Rumour has it that the Sky+ HD box will have component as well as HDMI outputs.

4) I'd suggest that you connect the Mac to the screen using DVI, and your DVD player/set-top-box to it via component input. Won't your Mac support the screen's native resolution anyway (via VGA or DVI)? My Mac Mini drives my 1650x1200 display just fine!

To sum up, I'm over the moon with my monitor! DVI is absolutely beautiful, the screen response and quality's fantastic. It serves as a great display for both general use and for viewing DVD's on the Mac. It's also a capable display for analogue inputs (composite, S-Video), although naturally the quality via composite or S-Video doesn't match that of DVI or VGA. The addition of Component Video on the model you're considering will help out -- component's capable of some gorgeous video output (both at SD and HD), even if it's not strictly digital.

4. cube macrumors G4

I read you can hookup a 1080i source and it will show it with about 1 cm high black bars on top and bottom, which is good.
    Some tuner didn't work with DVI (others do), but it was OK via component.

But it doesn't have HDCP, so buying one now is not a good idea.

5. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

This is where I am technically ignorant :) read that which ever way suits! - what is HDCP?

thanks for all above input!

6. cube macrumors G4

It is copy protection for digital video connections. You'll need it for Blu-Ray, HD-DVD players, and (gasp!) Vista.

7. cube macrumors G4

I know that. That is illegal in USA, and it should be illegal in EU according to the copyright directive. It also costs 400 EUR.
    And, BTW, it doesn't exist anymore.

You may just as well buy a Samsung SyncMaster 242MP, which does have HDCP, should have better video processing, has a PAL/SECAM/NTSC tuner ( I don't know if the tuner it handles things like PAL-N, but tthe video input does).