Dell Ultrasharp 2405wFP <-> Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xnor, Oct 20, 2005.

1. xnor macrumors newbie

Hi folks.

After reading some quite positive comments about the Dell Ultrasharp 2405wFP in this forum, I was considering to replace my old 17"-TFT. The Dell has the same resolution as the 23" ACD (1920x1200), which - due to official infos - works fine with the Mac Mini, so I assumed the Dell should work as well with my Mac Mini 1.42 (bought in March).

Yet, I found a strange thread in the Dell forum which implies the opposite: Strange thread...

Is there someone in this forum who has any experience in connecting the Dell Ultrasharp 2405wFP to a Mac Mini?

Thanx
    xnor

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It will work fine - albeit just a tad slower due to higher memory requirements. Personally, I'd recommend a 2005FPW and pocket the difference or get yourself a ViPod

Sounds like in the post you referenced, the dude either had a bum cable or didn't know you have to switch inputs using the monitor controls.

3. xnor thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Uh... I wasn't considering this... well, I guess you can't numeralize this "tad"? ;)

Here in Germany, the 2005fpw is currently at 478 EUR (584$), while the 2405fpw is at 851 EUR (1020$), quite a difference. But still, there are much cheaper than the 20" ACD (726 EUR, 870$) or the 23" ACD (1.250 EUR, 1500$)... and these are educational prices! :mad:

For the time being I'm fine with my iPod mini, thanks. Yet, if there's a real Video iPod to come (I'm talking about a large widescreen display), I may change my mind.

My guess, too - a typical case of PEBCAC (Problem Exists Between Chair and Computer). :D

Thanks so far
    xnor

4. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I might advise against it. I have a RevA PowerMac G5, and even it doesn't really perform well with my 24" Dell. If just doing normal activities it's fine, but if I try and play a DVD or something, you can see where it's having a bit of trouble with such a large number of pixels.

5. xnor thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh... if a G5 has performance problems on a 24", I don't want to know how bad it works on a G4 Mac Mini with its crappy graphic card. :eek:

Well... maybe a 20" is not such a bad idea after all... for both my mac and my pocket. :rolleyes:

So, ACD 20" or Dell 20"... decisions, decisions...

Thanks
    xnor

6. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

20" Dell is also gorgeous. That was my dream monitor until I got an amazing deal on this one.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Save $300 and get the Dell, its the same monitor under the covers...This is what I use with my mini and I love it. The aux inputs (VGA and S-Video) should come in handy too once I get moved into the new place.

8. tag macrumors 6502a

tag