Dell vs. Apple at U of C

Discussion in 'Community' started by livingfortoday, Sep 19, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    This is just a brief outburst on my part, don't look too deep into it!

Okay, I just got my little orientation CD-ROM from IT people at the University of Chicago today, and I was browsing through it when I came upon their "recommended" computers:

D-STD17-R PLUS Dell Optiplex GX280T
    • 3.2GHz Pentium IV Processor
    • Gigabit Ethernet
    • Integrated DVMT
    • 1GB Non-ECC SDRAM 400MHz DDR2 (2 DIMM)
    • 80GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    • 3 PCI Slots, 1 PCI Express Slot, 8 USB Ports
    • Dell Optical Mouse
    • Dell USB Keyboard
    • Minitower Chassis - Charcoal Grey
    • 8X DVD+RW/+R w/ Sonic Record Now Deluxe w/ DVD playback
    • Dell 3 Year NBD On-Site Warranty
    • Dell 1704FP 17" Flat Panel Monitor, height adjustable stand
    • Windows XP Professional

ASTD13-R Power Macintosh G5
    • PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz
    • Gigabit Ethernet
    • ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128MB
    • 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    • 120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    • 1 FireWire 800 port, 2 FireWire 400 ports, 5 USB Ports
    • Apple Mouse
    • Apple Keyboard
    • Minitower Chassis - 56K Modem
    • 16x SuperDrive
    • Built-In Speakers
    • Apple 1 Year Warranty
    • Apple 20" Cinema Display

That Mac is just ridiculous for what they claim the main needs of UC students are:
    "Most students at the University use computers for sending and receiving email, writing papers, accessing the web, creating presentations, and occasionally using other applications or games."

So, why not recommend an iMac instead of a Dual-2Ghz G5 with a 20" Cinema Display? I'd say a Mac Mini or eMac even, but the iMac is the most closely priced to the Dell, with many of the same features. I don't know, it just seems to me that people will see the price of the Mac as twice that of the PC and not even consider any other options. By putting on a rather overpowered and also overpriced machine, they're probably scaring away a lot of potential Mac users.
  2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Wow. That is insane for both the Dell and Apple. I agree with you about the iMacs: in a college dorm, or even apartment, setting, the iMac would have a much better footprint while costing about a thousand dollars less. I can't even fathom spending over 1,200 dollars on a Dell the uni planning on making some $$ selling these from their stores or something? I just don't understand why they would recommend such expensive computers.
  3. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, but the Powermac doubles as a space heater during the 9 months of winter in Chicago
  4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I don't think they're doing it for money. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but from what the information seemed to say, is that they would have these specific systems available for students to purchase early on in the year. I don't know if they got a deal by buying a bulk order of specific systems or what. They do have a University online Apple Store, like most universities do, which of course offers all Mac products at reduced rates. But yeah, it's just baffling that they would chose those specific computers, especially that specific Mac.
  5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

Oof, I hear that!
    I thought everything at Dell was cheap and ALL Macs were prohibitively expensive *cough* Mac Mini *cough*

Stupid Dell.

For what the university is recommending, you could get away with a G3 iBook! $200 easy!
  6. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    The oddest thing is that Dell don't even seem to provide the Optiplex GX280T. The closest I could find seems to be the GX520. Configuring that to the specs given here, it costs $1580.

I guess your school has a job lot of old Dells left over from last year.

Anyway, not only is the recommended base Mac ridiculous, but a 20" ACD?
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Um.....I don't think they're THAT old. About 5 months ago, my Uni bought me a new Optiplex GX280 with a 3.4 Pentium 4/HT with 2 GB of RAM, while everything else on that list is the same, I believe. Add a 17" LCD to that (because I'm a greedy student who's milking the skool to get his tuitions worth!!!).

Anyway, my model JUST replaced the old model GX280 (had a different casing) at around that time, so I guess it depends on where you are. :confused: I'm in Oz.
  8. njstaffer macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2005
    You obviously haven't used a 20" monitor before! True, its not necessary, but once you go to 20", anything less is a shame.
  9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Yeah, those machines are certainly over-spec'd.

An iMac G5 would be more appropriate.

And I know from experience that Dell sells a lot of computers for way less than $1200 that would answer students' needs.
  10. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Well, I just got an updated price list from the University today, and the PowerMac is the same price, only with a 160GB HD this time, and the Dell is now a GX620, with a 3.0Ghz Pentium instead of a 3.2, and it's $1,425. I really don't know why it's all so expensive. At least we can buy MS Office for $25, which is a damn good deal.
  11. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Of course, but why not spec the Dell with a 20" screen too? In that case, add $260 to the Dell quote and remove $130 from the Mac quote for both to use Dell FP2001 monitors.

The Optiplex PCs are business oriented and are available in the US only from the small business website. I'm not sure if they're better quality than the consumer models but they have integrated video - perhaps this is to try to cut down on time lost to FPSs?

I used an Optiplex at work about 7 years ago, and it had the same specs and wasn't much different from my own Dell Dimension (yes I confess it, I've actually paid for Dell PCs - and it cost me $2500 back then - aggghhh!)
  12. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Do you have to buy these, or are they just what's recommended?

Here's the CNET review on that Dell -

Wow, that's second CNET Dell review in a week that I've seen that gives less than 8/10
  13. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    No, no one has to buy them, they're just the recommended packages for students. They also apparently have these prepackaged if you want to go down to their offices and buy them.