Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I have a Dell XPS 15 notebook that I got last August, I was recently offered to trade with a family member my XPS for their new MacBook Pro.

Should I make the trade or keep my XPS? They both have 16GB of ram, both 512GB SSHD's, the MBP is a MacBook and has AppleCare while the XPS is out of warranty, but the XPS has a higher screen resolution along with being a touch screen.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks, the icloud sync for documents is pretty appealing, but the hard drive is kind of scary for me. Even though they are the same I have about 100GB free, I'd put 100GB down for windows so if I moved everything in a 1:1 transition I would have zero space left. No room for another virtual machine for college.

I assume I can use a thunderbolt cable to use my 2011 27" iMac as a second display, but I also have a 15" TV that I never use for my XPS.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Keep the Dell. If you are so short on disk space anyway, at least you have the option of replacing the disk on the Dell, or adding a second one in the m.sata slot so long as you don't have the high-capacity battery.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks everyone.

My xps does have the 91Whr (high capacity battery) so I don't believe the m.sata slot is free. I spoke with the person I was trading it with and they decided to try to stick with and learn OS X.

I mainly have steam games that require windows. Everything else has an OS X app that would work (Like replace VMware player with Virtualbox)

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Thanks everyone.

My xps does have the 91Whr (high capacity battery) so I don't believe the m.sata slot is free. I spoke with the person I was trading it with and they decided to try to stick with and learn OS X.

I mainly have steam games that require windows. Everything else has an OS X app that would work (Like replace VMware player with Virtualbox)

You can get a 1TB m.stata SSD for the Dell, with the Macbook you are stuck. Okay you can get an upgrade from OWC, but I find Apple's laptops while very nice to use are limited.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You can get a 1TB m.stata SSD for the Dell, with the Macbook you are stuck. Okay you can get an upgrade from OWC, but I find Apple's laptops while very nice to use are limited.
OWC upgrades only work on the 2012 and early 2013 rMBP's the ones from late 2013 and later all have a proprietry connector that no one else makes and so are essentially non upgradeable (you can get them pulled from other machines on ebay but they are just as expensive as buying the upgrade in the first place).

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
OWC upgrades only work on the 2012 and early 2013 rMBP's the ones from late 2013 and later all have a proprietry connector that no one else makes and so are essentially non upgradeable (you can get them pulled from other machines on ebay but they are just as expensive as buying the upgrade in the first place).

Thanks for confirming. Another reason for you to tick with the Dell if you are already short on space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.