Dell's answer to the iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cyanide, Feb 5, 2005.

1. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

I don't know if this is old news or a repost, but a friend and i noticed this in the Dell magazine that ships to us and had a good laugh about it. I guess mounting a mini tower on the monitor stand is as good as it gets for windows users craving the style we know and love. Look out iMac G5, its the dell optiplex sx280!!

Attached Files:

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I "think" I've seen this before. I remember some computer that had a 'backpack' on it. :eek: If that is the "competition" for the iMac G5..... :rolleyes:

3. kaimon macrumors newbie

hahaha looks like the dodgiest engineering job i've seen in a long time! a short-term solution to compete with a product that is already dominating :)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, we had a thread about this before. That was out before the iMac G5, when the concept of an all-in-one built into the LCD was being discussed for the new iteration of the iMac.

Man, it looks like a skinny guy carrying a fat kid on it's back. Or possibly a scuba diver. What the hell were they thinking! :eek:

5. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Ahhhhh! My eyes! My eyes!!

I swear those guys at Dull couldn't design their way around the inside of a Cheerio. :cool:

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nah... The Mac Mini is Apple's answer to this Dell.

Apple, always copying ideas from other, more innovative companies.... :p

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

that really is terrible. talk about not being interested in making things look nice!

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is what happen when someone lets a engineer design something............. Looks like crap!

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

That one is not going to compete at all with the iMac :p

10. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

This thing must be afraid of fire because it looks like Frankenstein

11. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

the sad thing is, this is probably one of their best designs :p

monster

12. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Wow! Nice fullscreen view of windoze xp with a mediocre processor...! AMAZING!

Or you could get glorious widescreen views of os x with the most powerful processor on the market...

;)

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

looks like some kind of mod that someone did at home. The kind you spend 30 seconds doing and it looks like sh*t.

14. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

As if I didn't get enough of a laugh already, I had a few minutes and I went to the Dull web site and priced out the "integrated" solution in the picture to compare with the base iMac G5. The Dull, as pictured in this thread, came in at $1189 (specs attached) compared to the iMac's $1299. Note that the pictured model has a 15" display (vs. iMac's 17") and something called "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900)" which uses system RAM, for graphics hardware. It could be because I find the Dull web site confusing, but I never found a way to order better graphics on that particular system, so it may not even be an option.

For $1189 you get all of that, plus the innovative design, appeal and "cool factor" of the amazing hands free cell phone. All in all, pretty lame . . . :p

Attached Files:

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Make your own iMac

The Dell solution can be done by anyone. Get a 30' display and place a Powermac G5 on it's back. And you got your own iMac '30 with 2 processors.

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

17. iceTrX macrumors regular

Well at least the front looks better then the back... :eek:
    [​IMG]

18. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

First response: OH MY GOD, THAT'S THE WHOLE COMPUTER!@!@!1!!!!!1!11 I THOUGHT IT WUZ JUS A SCREEN 4 1 !!!111!13@@!

19. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i wonder how it'll sell...imagine the poor kid who wants an iMac and tells his parents "i want that all in one computer that looks like only an LCD," and comes home to find this there instead? "sorry son, it was 100 bucks cheaper!"

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, this might get me flamed, but... I think that a small mount to attach a Mini to the backside of an LCD may actually be kinda slick. The Mini is so much smaller than that things is, so it would be completey hidden behind it. Mount the system sidways so that the slot loading optical drive would be accessable like the iMac G5's is. Have a small 'hub strip' that attaches to the bottom of the display that has 2 FW ports and 4 USB2 ports that connects to the Minis ports via some small extender cables. Perhaps even some small stereo speakers built in as well.

It'd be really slick if this was an Apple product. A 17" widescreen LCD with similar styling to the current ACDs. Maybe I will put together some kind of mockup.. but my basic idea here would be something similar to the iMacs footprint/formfactor, but the 'guts' of the machine would be removable and exchangable, so you can just get a new Mini and keep the display/mount/keyboard/mouse/etc.

Rob

21. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Hahahaha :) It would be funny if I didn't know some designers who can't get work :mad:

22. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

hey, think about it like this... it has a cool handle

23. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Looks like an ugly suitcase with a screen. Hahahaha!

I have an iMac G5 clone listed on my site. Does anyone know who makes this monstrosity?

[​IMG]

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yeah. But if Apple made that thing, it would look like, well, this!