Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
I heard recently through a very reliable source about Dell's practices regarding their Research and Development.

To put it simply, there is none. It is Dell's policy to watch trends and technology in the marketplace, and time their production so that when a certain technology has gained a specific level of maturity and interest, they produce the hell out of it, undercut the prices, and make a buck off of someone elses idea. To put it very simply, they copy the popular technology and sell it. They admittedly do this.

The reason this came about is because the firm I work at had developed a prototype for a type of hardware that we thought Dell would be interested in helping pioneer. The meeting was ended when the Dell people basically said, that they dont do much pioneering, just sell computers they know will sell. They then promptly suggested that we go to Sony or Apple, because Dell wants to see them produce it so they can later sell a version of it.

Well, if a company wants to make money, thats a way of doing it, but it sure isnt giving one sh*t about the computer marketplace, or even consumers.

Apple has a passion for making great computers and great operating systems, and they are very unique in doing that. Without Apple, the computer market would have been ugly, dull, and less friendly. I mean, we wouldnt even have firewire for crying out loud. I guess we just have remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Either way,
Dude, Im getting an Apple

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The scariest thing about this is that Dell is so successful relying on other people to do all the R&D. Wow, who would have thought. Maybe that's one of the reasons Sony was singled out, along with Apple, to be the 2 companies to succeed over the next couple decades. I wish I had that article, if I find it I'll post it.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Dell's Copying Policy

Originally posted by agreenster
The reason this came about is because the firm I work at had developed a prototype for a type of hardware that we thought Dell would be interested in helping pioneer.

I hope you had an iron-clad non-disclose, non-use agreement with the Dell people you met with, otherwise, I wouldn't be too surprised if they send you packing, but use your ideas anyway.

Vilacr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
Copying

All companies copy. They all sit back and wait to see what the next trend will be then jump on the bandwagon. So what's new? Dell is doing nothing apple,sony,ibm or whoever the company maybe is doing. Answer this what new innovation has apple come up with lately...besides outdated hardware. I am tired of eveyone taking up for apple. Sure I love my macs but apple's hardware is very much outdated. Why don't they take a cue from dell and get us some 64 or 128 meg ddr graphics cards,ddr ram, faster proc's, lower prices (don't give me that porche crap, I have a dell latitude 650mhz and it runs xp flawlessly) and a helluva lot more hardware to keep us up to speed. Just letting off a little steam.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Go ahead

I dont care if you let off steam! I use PC's, Macs, and SGI. They are all good for what they do. I do think that Apple is innovative, however. True, they arent Porche--I hate that arguement as well. If anything is a porche, its SGI.

I think Apple is innovative in their design, and I think its great they are getting Unix into the hands of computer-dummies. I also do think that they have managed to suck every last bit of power from 'slow' processors, which is not an easy feat. Lastly, the Titanium Powerbook is the nicest looking computer on the market, period.

But yes, c'mon with the DDR ram and vid cards already. When are we gonna see those? Im tired of waiting as well.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I think I would prefer to buy Compaq that Dell!

I really hate Dell, they are the only other company that my dads company buys! It really annoys me!

DOWN WITH DELL!

Ensign

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.