DeLorean on eBay

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 20, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

One of my customers had one of those... after several hundred dollars worth of free labor I finally talked him in letting me drive it. Most completely impractical car ever made. Still, terribly cool.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I was driivng through Southern Kentucky last summer - I was passing through this little town when I saw a store with Rebel Flags out front.. I stopped and purchased this disgusting little flag of a Rebel Skull Soldier.. with the words "The South Will Never Die" as I was leaving I noticed a DeLorean for sale in the lot next door... I walked over and got to see it up close. Very cool.

I gave the flag to a friend, sort of as a "look what type of freak town I went to." :)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If I bought the thing, I'd definitely put a flux capacitor and a Mr. Fusion on the back....

But I can imagine the up keep on the thing would end up being more than the car itself....

D

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

such a silly little car, but i'd love to have one... :D

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

If I had the cash to buy it & keep it up, I'd so do it. :D

8. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I want one...
    I can't afford one...
    I'm not a tinkerer...

whaaaaaaa, but I have one on a t-shirt...

vSpacken

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Not a bad price or car if the mileage is true, but my BS alarm went off:

DeLorean mechanics, right? At your local DeLorean dealer, eh? And last month you had it serviced there with Genuine DeLorean Parts, eh?

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've always wanted one of these. I think they're beautiful cars. This is one of the nicer ones, with the black interior and manual tranny. I sometimes see a few driving around SF. The last one I saw was at a Safeway (supermarket) parking lot, driven by a little old lady who was barely able to get into the thing :D.

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

This may surprise you, actually, I'm sure this will surprise you, but there are many service centers throughout the US that employ Delorean certified mechanics (known as DeLorean Mechanics). These certified Delorean technicians are usually found at any service shop that caters to imports (Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, etc.)

Also, Delorean parts are still being manufactured. So, it's quite possible that genuine Delorean parts were used.

I was at an AutoZone a few weeks ago, browsing through a parts catalog, when I came across a part that the book said was for a Delorean. I asked one of the technicians about it and they said that it's not a very requested part, but they do have them in stock.

12. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

You COULD go one step further after you'd bought it, and put BIG white-wall tyres on it, and a valve radio set on the bonnet (aka BTTF III).

...I'd like to see that...

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

They were certified back in the 80's though, right?

That's because a DeLorean DMC-12 is a Lotus Elan chassis with a Vovlo/Renault/Citroen drivetrain wrapped in a DeLorean body.

I highly doubt they are genuine DeLorean parts you're finding at AutoZone. Cross them over and you'll likely find they also fit either a Lotus of the same era, or a Volvo or Renault.

Maybe you'll stumble onto some NOS on eBay or in certain show circuits, but otherwise...

even the stamping tooling for the body panels was sold for scrap as the company went under.

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yes, most were certified back in the 80's. I'm fairly certain that you can still get certification. I've got a friend who is becoming a mechanic. I'll ask him if you can still get certified.

As for the parts, I just read an article a few weeks ago that talked about how John DeLorean's new company is producing replacement parts for the original DeLorean's. It's part of a program to restore and repair models that have been found in junkyards, etc. Since it's John DeLorean that's making the parts, I'd consider them to be "genuine DeLorean" parts. I can't remember for the life of me where I saw the article. It was online, but I'm not sure of the website.

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Nice car. If I bought it I would probably not be able to resist destroying the value to a collector by messing around under the hood. I might do something crazy like convert it to run off a hydrogen fuel cell. I wonder how Michael J. Jox would react if I sent him details of my conversion? Would he be disgusted at the destruction of a classic car or impressed at the showcasing of future technology?

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just about anything's an improvement over that slug of a plug that's in it right now.

Though to clarify, it's not under the hood at all.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I heard of JZD trying to get back in the 'biz. It'll certainly be an uphill battle for him. I haven't heard about his parts initiative. I wonder if he's actually manufacturing parts or if it's simply a repackaging scheme in the vein of Porsche's "-P" parts in the 60's and 70's.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Heck the Lotus Elise is a worthy replacement for that...

[​IMG]

With the Toyota drivetrain (something like a hopped up MR2), much more practical.

And still fast since it's a very light car.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've been lusting after the Elise since they were released.

I'd still love an Esprit though. Gotta love that sleek 80's styling.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is too bad that it's black. The brushed metal would be complimentary to the Power Mac G5.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The DMC-12s were stainless steel and never painted from the factory. There was that gold-plated one though...

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thats a hot car baby.

As one of my friends just told me...
    "it's just oozing with the 80's"
    and " i think the only thing that it's missing is an 8 track player"

haha, great stuff.
    Great stuff.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

They may be slow and impractical, but they sure had a lot of character and I'd love to have one.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wait a sec, the Elise is more practical than something? I wonder what you'd consider impractical :eek: