Delta in bankruptcy, another pay cut :-(

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, so indulge me a little whining...

Delta files bankruptcy

We have already de-hubbed Dallas, and we just announced that we are restructuring Cincinnati (costing 1,000 jobs for Delta, ASA and Comair). We just sold ASA for a nickle.

Our internal memo says to expect more job reductions, pay cuts and benefit reductions very soon.

As you may remember, I dealt with this just before Christmas last year too in the Lost my job today thread. I went through some soul searching in the Start my new (old) job today thread, including my first day on the job. I went full circle back to a new job in the Start my NEW job today thread. But the circle continues, as we are now faced with losing our jobs again and definitely more pay and benefit cuts.

I know, I know, I should have left a long time ago, but I'm turning 50 this year, have only 8 years with the company, have little or no marketable skills, and all my education is in a nonrelated, nonmarketable field too.

Between 9/11, fuel prices, mismanagement, poor customer service and performance, et. al. there is plenty of blame to go around for the industry woes.

I'm just whining... so feel free to ignore.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

2. iGary Guest

iGary

*non-gay cyber hug*

I hope it gets better, Dawg.

I was actually headed straight for Embry Riddle to become an airline pilot a year before 9-11, and I'm really glad I didn't.

Do you do baggage, customer service, flight attendant? I know you could at least start looking...I used to write resumes for a living, I'd be happy to write one for you gratis if you'd like to start putting some feelers out there.

I do hope you manage to make it thorugh the cuts.

It's amazing, four years ago, Delta was the highest paying carrier on the planet. Now, only the cut-rate airlines are surviving.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm really sorry to hear that, MacDawg. :(

It sounds like a constant struggle to remain on an even keel where you are... any chance that you may get off lightly in this round of cuts?

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I remember your threads last year. Sorry about all of it. Seems like you never get a break. However, I didn't know you reapplied and got your old job and salary back recently.

You were in a mid-level job for a while, and I'm sure you've gained many useful skills regardless of the degree you earned way back in those early days.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A big cyber hugg from me too.

Being 47, I know full well the feelings of wanting to hold on.

Will be thinking of you all as things progress.

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

One step forward, two steps back as they say. Just when you start getting your head above water, you get pushed back down. In briefing today they said they would hopefully let us know about pay cuts by next week. I wonder how much I will owe them to work here now? :( Our airline (non-pilot or mechanic personnel) has not had a raise in over 6 years, so that puts us way behind anyway, now with 2 pay cuts, along with higher benefit costs, we are falling way behind in everything. Now with gas prices soaring, we get a double whammy.

We are not being told anything about cuts right now, although we know yet another reorg is on the way. Since I have just made it back, I am low man on the totem pole (no offense to our native American friends), so I don't feel good at all.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's ok to whine. just remember that it always could be worse

good luck and keep us posted.

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know, I think of those who lost everything and had to live in the NO Superdome. But it still sux to be me today. I have some other personal issues going on too that are worse than the bankruptcy to me.

Just feeling a little "hollow" today.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

9. iGary Guest

iGary

I'll keep you in my thoughts, Dawg, and hope that everything works out.

With discount carriers flying people across the country for $225.00 round trip, and the majors having to meet them just to book customers, this whole collapse (unfortunately for good people like you) and cosolidation of major carriers was bound to happen.

You can't fly around $150 million aircraft, pay pilots $100,000+ a year and put 50,000 dollars worth of fuel in an aircraft at a shot, then give away fares and expect to do well...

Even Southwest (who I hate) has gone up to nearly $220.00 for an advance book flight to Jacksonville - ended up flying Delta for $180.00. I booked a flight to JAX when my dad died three hours before the flight left for $180.00 a month ago. Fuel costs are going to kill off a couple of airlines, sadly .

10. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ashes of Life
    Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892–1950)

Love has gone and left me and the days are all alike;
    Eat I must, and sleep I will,—and would that night were here!
    But ah!—to lie awake and hear the slow hours strike!
    Would that it were day again!—with twilight near!

Love has gone and left me and I don’t know what to do;
    This or that or what you will is all the same to me;
    But all the things that I begin I leave before I’m through,—
    There’s little use in anything as far as I can see.

Love has gone and left me,—and the neighbors knock and borrow,
    And life goes on forever like the gnawing of a mouse,—
    And to-morrow and to-morrow and to-morrow and to-morrow
    There’s this little street and this little house.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

I'm liberal, but unions have a lot of blame to shoulder too.
    I remember during the NWA mechanics strike about a month ago, one of the stikers was on the news saying, "I would rather see the company go bankrupt then us not get what we want."

Guess they got their wish. Unions have really outlived their usefulness.

Anyways, I feel for you dawg. I don't know how you work in such an uncertain industry; I'm sure everything will work out.

12. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Many Eastern employees said the same thing years ago...

I have a buddy that is a NWA mechanic, he retired just before the strike because he couldn't support it.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

i think you might be surprised if you wrote down all of your skills and tried to determine what jobs you might be qualified to do - Excel and VBA alone would allow you entry into some positions, and I know that there's more you can do.

I'm about a decade behind you in age, and my position is a (tiny) bit more secure, but I do understand what you're going through. As a software engineer for network security apps for [insert name of Finnish cell phone maker here], I've seen round after round of small layoffs ("death of a thousand cuts"), increased outsourcing, floundering projects, no raise for years, etc. The writing on the wall just keeps getting bigger and bolder. I've got a five-year-old (5 tomorrow) and a 3-month-old (also tomorrow) at home, so I'm torn between holding on to what I have and taking a risk and going elsewhere.

Since I know that it is virtually inevitable that my position will be eliminated (maybe soon, maybe in a few years, certainly without warning beyond the "wall writing"), I've begun to evaluate what I'm qualified to do. My education (BS, MS) is astronautical engineering. I have zero real-world engineering experience, though, as I went straight into programming. Programming positions for large corporations are moving to India in droves (and, from there, inevitably to China in a few years). At first, I was feeling pretty depressed about my prospects, but, as I started to list skills and achievements, I noticed that I just might be able to do something other than exactly (more or less) what I'm doing now.

Perhaps the same is true of you. Don't spend so much time worrying about your educational background - it's your capabilities that appeal to employers, and your ability to interview well, which, based on your posts, I suspect you do. What do you want to do? is there a particular reason that jobs in that area/those areas aren't ones you could get, or are you just assuming that you're not qualified?

I know that it's been difficult finding jobs where experience in large Java-based network management software projects is important, but I've just recently realized that I've been blinded by trying to find a job just like the one I have now. Lately, I've been trying to figure out what it is I want to do. A pay cut is inevitable. But I've spent over six years in a job I (for at least the past four years) hate, so maybe making less in a job I love would be a good thing. For you, what do you think you'll wish you'd done when you look back at this time in 20 years? For me, I'm pretty sure that I'll wish I'd left [insert name of Finnish cell phone maker here] sooner rather than later. I'm sure it's even scarier with kids in college (which I think I recall is the case with you), but I think that, the sooner you jump, the happier you'll be... because, really, what are the odds that your current job will fulfill your financial and emotional needs in a few months anyway?

I've already begun preparing different résumés with different goals for different fields in an attempt to figure out what it is I really want to do. I've got my skills and experience and achievements in lists, and I've been playing with mixing and matching them to see what I might be qualified to do. At first, I thought that all I could do is enterprise-level Java development. Now, I see that there is more I could do. Even beyond fast-food work. ;)

So... what do you want to do?

14. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Right now? Give up...

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So... give up. In a sense. Right now, it's just too much. It's been a nightmare of a year. And it looks like it'll just get worse. Cheery encouraging posts likely mean nothing. And, if you try to start looking elsewhere with your current state of mind, you'll undervalue and/or undersell yourself.

So ride the bad feeling out. See what happens. Maybe you'll get laid off. Maybe you'll get a horrific pay cut. Maybe it'll be worse (or better) than you expect. The important thing - and, at ~50, you must have experience with this - is to understand, in some tiny corner of your head, that, no matter how bad it seems today, or tomorrow, or next month, it will get better. Once you can start to think about moving on (whether that's today or months from now), then start to do so.

Odds are, once you just let yourself soak in despondency for a while instead of trying to fight it off, you'll pull out of it relatively quickly.

I wish you the best... and I know you'll ultimately be fine. You dug yourself out of a demeaning demotion last spring, and you'll dig yourself out of this as well.

16. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know, that's why I said to give me today... just one day to feel empty, to feel like quitting, to feel like crap. Then I can take a deep breath and move on again. I know it could be worse, a lot worse.

Thanks for caring and the good words.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Dawg, I feel for you. Since you have no change of getting any sort of pension from them, I think you should do your utmost to skip out on them and just try something new. Surely you can market your knowledge at another non-bankrupt carrier? Or even start something totally new? Surely this "old" dawg can lean new tricks?

Also, iGary's "non-gay-cyber-hug" is simply hillarious.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He only said it was non-gay. I'm pretty sure it was a gay cyber hug. We all know he's always carried a torch for 'Dawg. Only iGary knows for certain.