Demo 17" iMac had 2 dead pixels..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pin-Fisher, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

...in CompUSA . Just thought it was funny. They have thiers in stock while I'm waiting for mine. Should have just bought it from InCompUSA. Oh well.....back to work....

2. Captnroger macrumors regular

So? Could have happened due to most anything, from manufacturing to someone poking their finger at the screen.

3. awrc macrumors regular

Maybe the reason it's the demo machine rather than waiting to be sold is *because* it has two dead pixels.

Anyone know what Apple's official tolerance specs are for dead pixels? I remember being disappointed, after buying a Toshiba laptop that had three dead pixels, that they considered anything under 6 dead pixels to be acceptable, and wouldn't replace your display otherwise.

4. iPat macrumors member

I just got an iBook and there is a single dead pixel right in the middle of the screen! I think for most companies it's usually 6-10 dead pixels.

5. saint macrumors regular

I didn't know it was possible to kill pixels by poking the screen. Better stop doing that then. :p
    In fact, I thought dead pixels only happened in manufacturing. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

I'd be interested to know how common it is for people get dead pixels in their LCD's. Someone should set up a poll on the subject (if it hasn't been done already).

I was lucky enough to get a perfect screen on my iBook.

6. iPat macrumors member

From what I here dead pixels are pretty common. I've been lucky since I've owned 3 LCD screens in the past and not had a single dead pixel. Guess it was bound to happen sometime. Just sucks it's with my new iBook. Would have rather it been with my Toshiba Laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!! May have driven over to Macs sooner!! But I'll have to live with that dead pixels. Actually if you leave the desktop the default color you don't even notice it. Wasn't until I popped a DVD in that the screen in that area went black and I could see it.

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

From what my local apple guy told me that apple considers 4 dead pixels to be acceptable.